/ / Piazza del Campo: photo description (Piazza del Campo)

Piazza del Campo: photo description (Piazza del Campo)

Piazza del Campo - the main square of the Tuscan city of Siena and one of the most beautiful medieval squares in Europe. It is here that twice a year hosts a world famous horse race Palio di Siena. In addition, from all sides of the Piazza del Campo, shell-shaped, framed by luxurious aristocratic palaces, among which stands out the Palazzo Pubblico with the Torre del Mangia. And in the North-Western part of the fountain Fonte Gaia.

In the 13th century, this open space was the market - it is located on a sloping field not far from the place where the borders of three municipalities, of which later grew up in Siena the Castellare, the San Martino and Camollia. Perhaps even before there was an Etruscan settlement, but it was unremarkable. In 1349 the area was paved in red brick with ten rows of white limestone, which divided it into nine sections, radiating from the Central gutter in front of the Palazzo Pubblico. The number of sections is considered a symbol of the Board's Nine (Noveski), which laid the area and ruled Siena between 1292 and 1355 years. Since then and to this day the area remains the center of political life of the city. We will have 11 of the narrow streets, fleeing in different directions.

In the magnificent palaces framing Piazza del Campo, once lived a noble family of Siena Sansedoni, Piccolomini, Saracini, and others by Their uniformity, these late Gothic buildings are partially due to the fact that they were constructed of identical building materials - brick and tuff. At the base of the Palazzo Pubblico, you can see the small chapel of the virgin Mary, built by the Sienese, in gratitude for ending the terrible plague of the mid 14th century.

Decoration of the square is the Fonte Gaia - the Fountain of Joy, which was built in 1419 as an endpoint of urban water supply. By order of the Council of Nine in order to hold the water from the aqueduct to the fountain, were built many kilometers of tunnels. The current Fonte Gaia is a rectangular bowl, decorated on the sides are numerous reliefs depicting the Madonna and various Christian virtues. On the project of marble fountain worked Jacopo della Quercia. Interesting fact: among the figures which the sculptor in 1419 decorated the fountain were two naked female figures, the first since Antiquity exhibited in a public place.