/ / Piazza Pretoria: photo description (Piazza Pretoria)

Piazza Pretoria: photo description (Piazza Pretoria)

Piazza Pretoria, located to the East from Piazza Villena, is one of Palermo's main squares, crafted in a luxurious Sicilian Baroque style. Its main attraction is undoubtedly the monumental Mannerist fountain, built in the mid 16th century Florentine sculptor Francesco Camilliani. Initially, the fountain was decorated Palazzo di San Clemente Tuscan residence of Pedro of Toledo, Viceroy of Naples and Sicily, and after his death was sold by his heirs to the municipality of Palermo. In 1574 the fountain was dismantled into 644 pieces and transported to Sicily, where he collected under the personal supervision of son Francesco Camilliani - Camillo. For installation in Piazza Pretoria was demolished several residential buildings, and to the fountain added a few new elements to fit into the architectural ensemble of the square. Representing the composition of several pools of different sizes with the naked statues of mythological heroes, animals and monsters fountain immediately caused a wave of anger among the pious inhabitants of Palermo. Because of this, people in the square called Piazza di Vergogna Square of Shame. However, today, the fountain is a popular tourist site, look at which thousands of guests.

Other important buildings of Piazza Pretoria - the Baroque Church of Santa Caterina (end of 16th century, Palazzo Bonocore, Palazzo Bordonaro and Palazzo Pretorio, whose name and named the area. The Palace was built in the 14th century and the 17th century rebuilt in the then prevailing throughout the Baroque style. Once it was the residence of the Senate of Palermo, whence came the second name of Palazzo, Senatorio. And here is the 19th century city hall. Stairs on one side of the square leads to the street via Maqueda.