/ / Regional Museum of Messina: photo description (Museo Regionale di Messina)

Regional Museum of Messina: photo description (Museo Regionale di Messina)

Regional Museum of Messina was founded in 1914 in a former silk-weaving factories located on the coastal road from Messina to the lighthouse. The Museum houses a collection of the City Museum of peloritani, and also a huge number of items retrieved from the ruins of palaces and churches that were destroyed during the earthquake of 1908, and during the Second world war. Among the most valuable exhibits of the Museum are the paintings of Antonello da Messina and Caravaggio.

The Museum consists of several sections — archaeology, medieval art, Renaissance art, jewellery etc. All exhibits on display in 14 halls and offer visitors to get acquainted with the cultural life of Messina from different periods.

At the entrance visitors are greeted by a statue of Neptune, the work of Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli of the mid-16th century. Here, on the walls, you can see 9 bronze panels jewelers Back — they depict the legend of the letter given by the Virgin Mary to the ambassadors of Messina, who visited her in Palestine.

Artifacts of the Byzantine era are fragments of the Cathedral with paintings on the theme of stories of the old and New Testaments and mosaics of the 14th century. And the Gothic period is represented in the Museum's marble Madonna degli Store, the work of Gozo di Gregorio 14th century and a wooden triptych of the Siennese school.

Fans of Renaissance art worth seeing is the statue of the virgin Mary with the Infant work, Barocco of Piperine that once adorned the door of the Cathedral, a huge wooden crucifix, and a bas-relief by Desiderio of Settignano and a bas-relief by Domenico Gagini depicting St George defeating the Dragon.

In one of the halls displayed the masterpiece by Antonello da Messina — polyptych of San Gregorio, dated 1473, the year. Polyptych in the 18th century it was disassembled. Today they are once again gathered together, but one Central top. Here you can see paintings by Flemish artists. Finally, a separate room dedicated to the works of Caravaggio, who worked in Messina in 1608-1609-m years. Here are two of his masterpiece - the adoration of the Magi" and "the Resurrection of Lazarus".