/ / The Russian Church in Bari: photo description (Chiesa Russa di Bari)

The Russian Church in Bari: photo description (Chiesa Russa di Bari)

The Russian Church of Bari, also known under the name of the Church of St. Nicholas is an Orthodox Church, located in Bari, in the carrassi district.

The Church was built in the early 20th century to meet the needs of Russian pilgrims, a steady flow coming to Bari to venerate the relics of St. Nicholas - one of the most revered Christian saints. The relics of this Saint from the late 11th century, are kept in the local Basilica of St. Nicholas (San Nicola).

The construction of the temple began in 1913, a year on behalf of the Imperial Palestinian society. The Palace was designed by Alexei Schusev, a connoisseur of ancient Russian architecture, who created the project of the Russian Church on the model of ancient Novgorod churches. Interestingly, funds for the construction of the Church was collected in Russia. The construction was finished only after the First World war, but since then, the stream of pilgrims dried up and the Church is never empty. However, it should be said that today the number of Greek pilgrims far outnumbered the Russian.

In 1937 year the municipality of Bari bought the Russian Church, but the service continued. In 2000-ies it was restored, and in 2007-m to year it was visited by Vladimir Putin with a proposal to transfer the Russian Church of the Russian Orthodox Church. For various reasons this is a historic event took place only in 2009. It was attended by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Italian President Giorgio Napoletano. Since then the Russian Church of Bari is a part of Russia on Italian soil. Near the Church stands a sculpture of St. Nicholas, performed by Zurab Tsereteli.