/ / Garden rotunda: photo description (Giardini Della Rotonda)

Garden rotunda: photo description (Giardini Della Rotonda)

Sad Rotonda is a terraced garden, situated close to the historic centre of Padua, outside the city walls of the 16th century and ramparts "Cat". With the name of the shaft is connected with a legend that dates back to the early 16th century, say that then, during the siege of the city by German king Maximilian I, pedancy peel the skin of some cats to their wild cries of frightened enemies. In memory of this event in a niche in the tower facing the street Codalunga, was a sculpture of a cat.

Garden rotunda received this name because it was laid out around a monumental cylindrical water tank of the aqueduct, first in Padua and one of the best not only in Italy but throughout Europe. Work on the planning for the garden began in 1923 year, and two years later he was solemnly inaugurated under the name "Della Rotonda". To get here, you need to overcome a stepped path that starts from Vicolo Mazzini and running parallel to Viale della Rotonda. On the trail you can see five of balconies round a Central fountain, and each balcony is framed with simple plants. In the same fountains, floating water lilies. Each terrace of the garden is separated from the neighbouring gardens and gravel paths. The overall style of the garden can be described as a mix of liberty style and classicism with some elements of the style of the early 20th century. Flower beds remained small shrubs, reminiscent of palm trees and agaves that once grew here. The main entrance to the garden, and has a wrought-iron fence in liberty style, within the same traces of the geometric layout of the early 20th century, numerous decorations and decorating the garden with architectural elements.

He water reservoir of the rotunda stands on a street corner via Perugina Citalo Yes - it was built in 1925 year. It is 36 m in height and feature a small chapel at the base, built in the memory of the people killed during the breakup of the Austrian bombs during the First World war. From an architectural point of view, the tank is very interesting: on the outside it reminds of Roman mausoleums, but inside is a high-tech device.