/ / The garden of the Palazzo della Provincia: photo, description, (Roof Garden of the Palazzo della Provincia)

The garden of the Palazzo della Provincia: photo, description, (Roof Garden of the Palazzo della Provincia)

The garden of the Palazzo della Provincia in Ravenna is one of the most unusual sights of the resort. It is remarkable that is located on the roof of the aforementioned Palazzo, and is part of the crypt Rasponi.

Palazzo della Provincia was built between 1925 and 1928 years by the architect from Piacenza, Giulio Ulisse Arata. The building itself is a fine example of architecture in the style of "new romanticism" with a very visible influence of Byzantine architecture. This is especially noticeable in the hallway at the main entrance with its extensive space, internal galleries and the amazing mosaic of colored wood. The Palazzo stands on the very place where in the 17th century was located another aristocratic Palazzo Rasponi. The last in 1886, the year it was converted into a hotel, and in 1922, the year was completely burnt during a fire.

The ruins of the old Palace, including family Rasponi crypt and hanging terraces above the via Santi, which connected the Palazzo as a storeroom, bear the traces of different architectural styles and periods. In the crypt is preserved mosaic floor that dates back to the 6th century and was once part of the Church of San Severo. The entrance arch to the hanging gardens made of marble the face of the watch, who long ago were on the facade of the churches of San Sebastiano and San Marco and were removed from there in 1783, the year.

On the territory of the hanging gardens, close to the crypt Rasponi, at the end of the 19th century was placed a tower in neo-Gothic style. And that part of the garden that surrounds the fountain, more modern, and it's part of the plan of the architect Arata and was designed in accordance with the canons of creating gardens in the style of the Italian Renaissance.