/ / San Domenico: photos, description (San Domenico)

San Domenico: photos, description (San Domenico)

San Domenico Church in Orvieto in Umbria. Its construction started in the year 1233, a few years after the death of St. Dominic - so, this is one of the first churches of the Dominican order. Once the building consisted of a Central nave and two side aisles, however, all that remains to the present day, is the apse and the transept. In 1932 a large part of the Church was demolished for the construction of a Women's Sports Academy, which today is a centre of excellence of the Ministry of Finance.

Today in San Domenico kept the pulpit, which was used by Thomas Aquinas himself during lectures in theology, which he read in Orvieto in the second half of the 13th century. Special attention deserves the Mausoleum of cardinal De Bray, made by the sculptor Arnolfo di Cambio around 1282. As proved by restorers, statue of the Madonna, which is part of the monument, dated to the 2nd century BC by the Attraction of the Church is the Petrucci chapel, designed by architect Michele Sanmicheli in 1516-1623 years and are located under the choir. It is made in the shape of an octagon and is decorated with several sculptures.

Once in the temple you can see beautiful polyptych depicting the Madonna with child and saints, the work of Simone Martini (1323-1324 years) - today it is exhibited in the Museum of Orvieto's Cathedral.