/ / San Cataldo: photo, description, (San Cataldo)

San Cataldo: photo, description, (San Cataldo)

San Cataldo is one of the oldest churches in Palermo, remarkably similar to the Eastern mosque. Located in Piazza Bellini, near the Church of the Martorana, it is a monument of Arab-Norman architecture, which combines Byzantine and Arab features.

The Church, dedicated to St. Cataldo, was built in the 12th century on the initiative of Mayo da Bari, the Minister of the Sicilian king Wilhelm I of Evil. Initially she was the personal temple of Mayo and stood in the grounds of his Palace. However, after the death of the Minister his property was sold to the count Sylvester of Marsico, whose son in 1175 in turn sold the Palace complex of king William II the Good. Seven years later, the Palace along with the Church became the property of the monastery of Montreal.

For five hundred years, San Cataldo was in the possession of the archbishops of Monreale in the nearby became a parish Church was a small cemetery. Palace Mayo monks first used as a hospital, and then placed it in the residence of the archbishops. Considerable restoration work was carried out there in 1625 and 1679. But in 1620 the South-Eastern part of the Palace was sold to the Senate of Palermo, after which she turned into a present of the Palazzo Pretorio.

In the late 18th century, the Palace de Mayo and Church of San Cataldo was bought from the Archbishop by king Ferdinand II, who granted the Church to the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Palermo, and in the Palace, ordered to build the mail. Only a hundred years later the Palace was demolished, and the hill on which he stood, sryli to the base. Thanks to this event, Church of San Cataldo, until then hidden from all sides by various buildings, was open to the gaze of the audience. It was carried out major restoration work, which the Church acquired its original appearance. In 1937 it became the property of the Maltese order.

The architecture of the Church is very unusual: it is a parallelepiped with three hemispherical domes. Similar structures can be seen in the Italian region of Apulia and North Africa. Even a simple tourist it is clear that it was not without a distinct Arabic influence. Three facade of the Church decorated with false arches, and only the southern facade, once adjacent to the Palace, deprived of decorations. On the roof you can see a typical Arab thread. From the interior come down to us only the altar and the inlaid floors, Dating from the 12th century. And on one of the walls, there is an epitaph in honor of Matilda, who died in infancy daughter of count Sylvester of Marsico.