/ / San Leucio: photos, description (San Leucio)

San Leucio: photos, description (San Leucio)

San Leucio - Caserta area, located 3.5 km North-West of the city centre. It lies at an altitude of 145 metres above sea level and was formed around the old silk mill - UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO. The name of the district was named after the Church of St. Lectures, once stood here.

In 1750, the year of the Neapolitan king Charles VII, on the advice of his Minister Bernardo of Tanucci chose this place to realize an unusual social and technological experiment - introduction of production based on technical innovation and the needs of the workers. Before that there was a hunting residence of the Acquaviva family, now restored and known as Palazzo del Belvedere. Belvedere (from Italian translates as "beautiful view" - hence the really good weather there are stunning views of the Naples Gulf and the Islands of Capri and Ischia.

At first, the San Leucio was a place of rest to the Royal hunting grounds and aqueduct that was used to take stock of water to the Reggia di Caserta. Son of Charles VII, Ferdinand I, built a hunting residence - he was an experienced hunter and did not like the splendor and luxury of Palace life. And here Charles and Ferdinand founded a silk-spinning factory. Later around it was built a production building and a residential building, which was unusual for Europe at the end of the 18th century. The project architect was Francesco Collocini - he set the noisy looms next to the Royal apartment, and the living room turned into a chapel for the workers. They were built houses, and soon this whole area turned into an industrial town in 1789, the year was kind of a Royal colony for the production of silk. The members of this colony used in their work the most advanced technology known in Europe, and enjoyed certain privileges. For example, they had social contributions, the pension, the right to free secondary education. The king even wanted to turn the colony into a real city called Ferdinandova, but this project was never implemented because of the invasion of the French troops. Despite this San Leucio continued to develop during the reign of Napoleon.

The heritage of king Ferdinand is alive to this day: the local silk and textile production to provide its products to elite foreign clients like Buckingham Palace, the White House, Palazzo Quirinale and Palazzo Chigi. The main square of San Leucio - Piazza della Seta - views of the Palazzo del Belvedere, which adjoins the factory. To the Palace by a staircase, which ends at the Church San Ferdinando Re, erected in the 18th century.

Part of the Palazzo del Belvedere today is given over to the exposition dedicated to the life of the Royal family. In other areas, opened a silk Museum with antique looms and other tools. Since 1999, the year here is held the festival Leucana designed to promote San Leucio and its lush Park.