/ / San Miniato: photo, description, (San Miniato)

San Miniato: photo, description, (San Miniato)

San Miniato is a small town located along the road of the via Francigena, which in the Middle ages connected Rome with Europe. Good geographical position of the city in the heart of the Arno valley at the intersection of highway leading to Florence, Pisa, Lucca and Siena, has always attracted those in power. Here liked to visit Emperor Frederick II of Swabia and Popes Gregory V and Eugene IV. Here, in 1533, the great Michelangelo met with Pope Clement VII, who commissioned the artist working on the Sistine chapel.

According to archaeologists, in ancient times, the current territory of San Miniato was inhabited by the Etruscans and later by Romans and the discovered ruins of the necropolis of the 3rd century BC in the town of Fontevivo and the ruins of a Roman Villa in Antonini. The artifacts from these ruins are now on display in the City Museum.

San Miniato began to play an important role during the reign of Emperor Frederick II Barbarossa - then this town was the residence of the Imperial delegates in Tuscany. In the Middle ages it was even called San Miniato al Tedesco - German San Miniato. Later, it housed the diocese. The construction of the Seminary, standing out for its frescoed facade and the restoration of the Episcopal Palace, located on Cathedral square, was also completed in that period.

Centuries of history left in San Miniato numerous artistic and architectural value, which today admiring tourists. On a hill above the town is a lovely square Prato del Duomo, framed by one of the oldest and most famous buildings of San Miniato, including the Palazzo Comunale, the Bishop's Palace, Palazzo dei Vicari 14th-century Cathedral.

In the historic center of town is an interesting Museum complex, consisting of eight exhibition centers to visit, and with a single ticket. Definitely worth seeing and Rocca Federiciana - tower, built in 1217-1223 years and named in honor of the Emperor Frederick II. It stands on a hilltop and is part of the ancient fortress of San Miniato. There is a beautiful view of the city, the valley of the Arno river, the hills of Volterra, and in clear days on the coast of the Tyrrhenian sea.

Among the other attractions of the city can be called Oratorios Aretino, the Episcopal Museum of Religious Art and the Archaeological Museum.