/ / San Pietro: photo description (San Pietro)

San Pietro: photo description (San Pietro)

San Pietro - this name was given to the Church and Abbey located in Perugia. The monastery was founded about the year 996 on the Foundation of the former Cathedral - the residence city of the bishopric, which existed from the beginning of the 7th century. The first reliable evidence about the Abbey belong to the 1002 year. His patron was Pietro Vincoli, a nobleman from Perugia, canonized after death.

For several centuries the Abbey grew and increased its significance, but in 1398 it was burned by the inhabitants of the city, as its rector, Francesco Guidotti took part in a conspiracy against Biordo, Micheletti, the head of the local party. Only in the early 15th century with the participation of Pope Eugene IV, the monastery was able to recover.

In the late 19th century, when the Peninsula was dominated by the French, the Abbey was temporarily closed. In 1859, the monks supported the rebellion against Papal authority, and after the unification of Italy, the new government allowed them to remain in the Abbey.

In front of the monastery gate of the 15th century, designed by Agostino di Duccio and leading to the monumental facade with three arcades, which in 1614 was made by a local architect Valentino Martelli. The first cloister is also built Martelli, and the second is the creation of Lorenzo petrozzi.

The entrance to the Church is located to the left of the cloister. On both sides of the 15-century-old portal you can see the remains of the facade of the ancient Basilica. The portal is decorated with a portico with frescoes, some of which are executed in the 14th and 15th centuries. To the right of the portal rises a polygonal bell tower, rebuilt in 1463-1468 years on the project of Bernardo Rossellino.

Inside the Church consists of a Central nave and two side aisles. Here is the second largest art collection after that stored in National Gallery of Umbria. The nave is supported by arcades of columns, made of gray marble. Its upper part is decorated with scenes from the old and New Testaments, which were written in the late 16th - early 17th century Antonio Vassilacchi, a pupil of Tintoretto. The brush also holds the canvas on the West wall, depicting the Triumph of the Benedictine monks". Attraction of the nave is covered with mosaics and wooden ceiling work of Benedetto di Giovanni da Montepulciano. Among other works of art can be called work Ventura Salimbeni, Eusebio da San Giorgio, Orazio Alfani, copies of paintings by Perugino, Girolamo Danti, Giovanni Lanfranco, as well as two huge canvas Giorgio Vasari. Brush the Perugino owns a number of images of saints in the sacristy. In the presbytery, rebuilt in the late 16th century, you can see the magnificent inlaid wooden choir, which is considered one of the most beautiful in Italy. Over their creation worked with via 1535 1525 years.

Abbey has two cloisters - one, Chiostro Maggiore, designed in the Renaissance style, and the second, Chiostro the Stella, built in 1571. Front garden the Giardino del Pediment with a tiny amphitheatre, built in the 18th century for the family of Alessi.