/ / Santa Croce Camerina: photo description (Santa Croce Camerina)

Santa Croce Camerina: photo description (Santa Croce Camerina)

Santa Croce Camerina is a nice and quiet village a few kilometers from the coast in the province of Ragusa, situated on the plain at the foot of the Iblean mountains. Administratively it consists of the seaside resorts of Casuzze, Punta Conditioned and Brachetto.

In ancient times the territory of modern Santa Croce Camerina was home to several settlements of Kamarina, Conditioned Casale di Santa Croce, etc. of Kamarina was founded in the late 6th century BC as a military Outpost in the territory, lapped by the waters of the rivers Ippari and Reprocolor. Soon, it was composed of many neighboring settlements, and the city began to flourish, no need even to revolt against the mighty Syracuse. Almost half a century lasted the independence Kamariny before Syracuse was able to regain power. In the 3rd century BC by the Romans after a long siege captured the city and razed it to the ground. The survivors found shelter in Punta Secca - the coastal area between Punta Braccetto and Casuzze, where they founded a new settlement - Conditioned. There were found artifacts belonging to early Christian period mortuary halls, and tombs in the area Pirrera, necropolises and temple in the district of Miri. The temple still has the fragments of a fresco depicting Saint Helen with the Cross, which later gave name to the city (Santa Croce in Italian means Cross). For a long time the territory of present city was abandoned, and even the Arabs seized Sicily, has not left any significant traces of their stay.

In the 12th century Conditioned changed its name to Roskamp and then she was transferred to the old Benedictine monastery in Scicli. In 1450, the year the town passed to don Pietro Celestri, of the aristocracy of Modica, which began the heyday of the Santa Croce, but soon after his death in 1494, the year began another period of decline, as the city was often raided by pirates. To cope with the pirates was only in the 17th century, when in a strategic position on the promontory of Capo Karamia were built two guard towers. And in 1812, the year Santa Croce Camerina became an independent city.

Among the attractions is called the Chiesa Madre Church of the 13th century, which was restored in the 18th century after the devastating earthquake. Inside preserved ancient reconstruction of the "Madonna del Loreto" by Caravaggio and a statue of San Giuseppe. Near the Church stands the Palazzo PEC in liberty style. Another interesting building, known as the "Bagno" and dated 4th to 6th centuries, located in the heart of Mezzanine. Territory Kaukani located between Punta Secca and Casuzze, attracts tourists to the archaeological Park.

Off the coast are the ruins of the ancient Camarina - part of the city walls, the ruins of Hellenistic structures, ancient temple, etc. Here were discovered the ruins of the temple of Athena 5th century BC and the necropolis of Passo Marinaro and Randello. Most are made here of the findings today exhibited in the archaeological museums of Ragusa and Siracusa.