/ / Santa Maria al bagno: photo, description Santa Maria al Bagno)

Santa Maria al bagno: photo, description Santa Maria al Bagno)

Santa Maria al bagno is a popular resort in the Italian region of Apulia, part of the commune of Nardò located on the coast of the Ionian sea. Generally, Santa Maria is a fishing village, nestling on the banks Tarantsova Gulf between Gallipoli and Porto Cesareo. Its rocky and sandy beaches has long been visited by tourists. In the vicinity of Santa Maria is located the reserve of portoselvaggio" with 400 hectares of pine groves and 7 km of pristine coast. "Of portoselvaggio is one of the major green oases the whole of Puglia.

To reach Santa Maria al bagno, very simple: a 45 drive by car from the major city of Brindisi, a 20-minute lies Lecce, and an hour and a half drive from Bari. In the town there are shops, restaurants, pubs and night bars and large supermarkets and upscale boutiques can be found in nearby Nardò, Galatina, Gallipoli and Lecce.

During the Second World war in Santa Maria al bagno, housed a camp for Jewish refugees, and recently there was opened a Museum dedicated to the thousands of inhabitants of this camp, who passed through Italy, heading to Israel. Historians estimate that from 1943 to 1947, the first years the camp was visited by about 150 thousand Jews who sought the Promised Land. The Museum houses various documents and artifacts of the era, photographs, videos, etc.

Another attraction of Santa Maria al bagno is the Torre del Fiume di Galatena is one of the many coastal towers of Salento built in the 16th century to protect the coast from the raids of the Saracens. Near the tower is a source of fresh water, where he knew the pirates, and because of which they are often attacked these places. Once the turret was a truncated pyramidal structure with a height of about 16 meters with corner bastions. Probably, the Central part of the tower was Russula soon after construction. Today from Torre del Fiume di Galatena remained only the four corner bastions, which gave the tower the nickname "Quattro column has Four columns.