/ / Santa Maria della Catena: photo, description Santa Maria della Catena)

Santa Maria della Catena: photo, description Santa Maria della Catena)

Santa Maria della Catena Church in Palermo, built in the late 15th - early 16th centuries on the site of a small chapel by the architect Matteo Carnelivari. It is located in the vicinity of city port of Cala. According to one legend, the name of the Church comes from the miraculous events that occurred in the 14th century, when the shackled prisoners unjustly sentenced to death, literally melted in the sun after they had offered prayers to the virgin Mary. In Italian, the word "Catena" means "chain, chains".

During the construction of a Basilica was used a mixture of styles, Renaissance and Gothic-Catalan, the last features are especially visible in the arched covered balcony, crowning the main staircase, which was added in the mid 19th century. The interior is also made in Gothic style and includes the work of an unknown artist of the 17th century the Nativity and the adoration of the Magi" and the bas-reliefs of the 16th century, the authorship of which is attributed to Vincenzo and Antonello Gagini. Last worked on capitals and entrance portal of Santa Maria della Catena.

The first chapel on the right dedicated to Saint Brigit, inside it is possible to see the painting by an unknown artist of the 17th century, depicting the greatness of the Saint, and on the sides and on the ceiling there are the frescoes of the 18th century the work of Olivia, Sozzi. In the second chapel also ancient frescoes - they date back to the 14th century and depicts the virgin Mary with the infant Jesus in her arms, who has a very adult look and bald head, evidence of his eternal wisdom. In the corners of the chapel are the statues of saints Marguerite, Ninfa, Barbara and Olivia. Their creation is credited with Ghajini.

In 1602 the Church was built the monastery, which since 1844 is the state archive. And the Church of Santa Maria della Catena is one of the most significant examples of the local embodiment of Renaissance style.