/ / Synagogue Scolanova: photos, description (Sinagoga Scolanova)

Synagogue Scolanova: photos, description (Sinagoga Scolanova)

Scolanova synagogue is a religious building in the town of Trani, in the Italian region of Abruzzo. Built in the 13th century, the Jewish community, but around 1380 - year during the wave of anti-Semitism was confiscated by the Catholic Church and converted to Church of Santa Maria in Scolanova. Only in 2006-m to year the building was returned to the Jewish community and was again used as a synagogue.

To 1380-th year of all four synagogues of Trani were confiscated by the Church, and the 310 Jews remaining in the city were forcibly converted to Christianity. Confiscated the synagogue, becoming the Catholic churches called Santa Maria in Scolanova, San Leonardo abate, San Pietro Martire, and Santi Quirico e Giovita (later Santa Anna). The Church of San Pietro was later demolished. On the North wall of the Church of Santa Anna remained a plaque that says the building was built on the site of the demolished in 1247, the year of the synagogue. And the building San Leonardo has undergone so many renovations that today his face is a little reminiscent of that synagogue.

In 2006, the year the synagogue Scolanova standing empty and disused as a Church since the 1950s, was returned to the Jewish community. A large role was played by Professor Francesco Lotoro, a descendant of Italian Anisimov - Jews who were forced to convert, but continued to observe some precepts of Judaism. Lotoro, also known as a pianist and conductor, who studied the music of the Nazi concentration camps.

The landmark synagogue is the ancient image of the virgin Mary, located in a niche, where once was located the synagogue ark with the Torah scrolls. The Church refused to move this image to another temple or Museum. Moreover, the building of the synagogue is a historical monument protected by the state, therefore Jews are not allowed to touch the image of the virgin Mary. One solution to this controversy was the proposal to place before the icon of a large menorah, the Golden lamp samostalnog.

No significant changes in the interior of the building was not done after the Church was re-converted into a synagogue. The building is a square building in the Gothic style and stone cladding. The barrel vault is 36 feet in height. In the Eastern wall has three Windows. Preserved the frame of the faceted stone for the synagogue ark. In the next building was once Fibersol - female Department, and the basement still has staircases and medieval mikvah - water reservoir for ablutions.