/ / The Hermitage Eremo delle Carceri: photos, description (Eremo delle Carceri)

The Hermitage Eremo delle Carceri: photos, description (Eremo delle Carceri)

Eremo delle Carceri is a small Hermitage nestled in a wooded gorge at the foot of Monte Subasio in Umbria at 4 km from Assisi. All of this natural area, having the shape of a huge hole in the form of a quatrefoil, called "the Devil's throat." The word "Carceri" in translation from Latin means "the isolated location of the prison."

In the 13th century St. Francis of Assisi repeatedly returned here to pray and meditate, as did many hermits before him. When he first came in 1205, the only local structure, there was a small chapel built in the 12th century. Soon after the Holy Ghost was followed by other hermits, who have found refuge in isolated caves. The chapel received the name of Santa Maria delle Carceri because the caves in which the monks lived, was like a prison.

Probably in 1215 the place with the chapel was given to Saint Francis by the Benedictine order. Then they gave him a small Church to Portiuncula located down in the valley. Sam Francis of Assisi devoted his life to preaching and missionary work, but he was removed to the Carceri to be alone with God. On a stone bridge can still be seen the oak, in whose branches the birds lived, with whom, according to legend, talked the Holy.

Around 1400 Saint Bernardino of Siena built a small monastery with a small choir stalls with wooden seats and a simple refectory, which still stand tables of the 15th century. He also erected the Church of Santa Maria delle Carceri, where today you can see the altarpiece depicting the virgin Mary with the Baby.

In the following centuries around the cave of St. Francis and the original chapel erected numerous buildings that became part of a huge monastic complex that exists to this day. Despite the fact that the monks live here and today, visitors are always welcome.