/ / The Cathedral of Santa Maria Annunciata: photos, description Santa Maria Annunciata)

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Annunciata: photos, description Santa Maria Annunciata)

Santa Maria Annunciata Cathedral of Vicenza, a Grand dome designed by Andrea Palladio (he, probably, was the author of the North side door).

It is believed that the first Church that stood on this spot bore the name of the most revered in Vicenza Martyr St. Euphemia, whose relics today are kept inside the Cathedral. Probably in the 6th century took place the first renaming of the temple, which was called Santa Maria. It was caused by the fact that shortly after the in 431, the year of the Third Ecumenical Council of the Christian Church, which was proclaimed the dogma of the blessed virgin Mary, a Church was renamed in her honor. In the first place it belonged to the main religious building of the city - the Cathedral. And later, probably between the 7th and 8th centuries, the name of Santa Maria has been added to the console Annunciata because it was at that time widespread the feast of the Annunciation (Annunciazione L).

In 1467, the year the sculptor Pietro Lombardo from Karon was commissioned to make a tomb monument of Saint John the Baptist, Ricardo, which is now immured in the wall of the Cathedral, and in 1468, the year - gravestone Alberto Ricardo, the brother of Battista, the local archdeacon.

The construction of the apse of the Cathedral was begun in 1482, the year the project Lorenzo da Bologna, but by 1531, the year it was unfinished. The first temporary roof was erected in 1540, the year, because it was assumed that in Vicenza will be held the Council of Trent (later moved to Trento). Only in 1557, the year the municipality of Vicenza has been able to achieve from the Venetian Republic to Finance the completion of the Cathedral. Responsible for the execution of works was assigned to Andrea Palladio, who was probably the author of the project of the entire religious complex. Construction proceeded in two stages: in 1558-59-m respectively above the Windows was installed and the cornice was completed the drum of the dome, and the dome was erected in 1564-66-m years. Having the form of a lantern and devoid of scenery, he later served as a model for the dome of the Church San Giorgio Maggiore in Venice.

In 1560, the year of Paolo Almerico asked for permission from the Cathedral Chapter to build at his own expense, the Northern portal of the Church in the likeness of the chapel of San Giovanni Evangelista. We are talking about the same Paolo Almerico, which a few years later will charge to Andrea Palladio the construction of the famous Villa La Rotonda. The portal was made in 1565, the year. Its authorship is attributed to the fact, Palladio, although there are no supporting documents or a personal architect. Historians rely on the similarity of the portal of the Cathedral with the ancient samples are well known, Palladio, and with the side portals of the Cathedral of San Pietro di Castello in Venice, on which Palladio worked in 1558, the year.

During the Second World war, Santa Maria Annunciata was severely damaged during the bombing of the city by American troops. Preserved only the facade. Destroyed part of the Cathedral, including the dome of Palladio, was rebuilt, but the priceless frescoes adorning its interior was lost forever. Near to Cathedral there is the Diocesan Museum which houses various exhibits related to the history of Santa Maria Annunciata.