/ / The Cathedral of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari: photos, description Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari)

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari: photos, description Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari)

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, dedicated to the Dormition of the virgin Mary is certainly one of the most famous churches of Venice. He stands at the homonymous square in the quarter of San Marco. In people, the Cathedral is often referred to simply as Frari.

History the Basilica has its roots in the distant 12th century, when the territory of the Apennine Peninsula was born the religious movement, which had a huge impact on the history of Italy and the culture of many peoples. The founder of this doctrine was Francis of Assisi. In 1222, the year in Venice published his first followers, which a few years later, made by the Doge permission for the erection of the Church. The architect of the Franciscans chose the famous Nicola Pisano, who built the actual Church and monastery, consecrated in honor of the blessed virgin Mary most Glorious (Gloriosa). Frari and the name was given to her by the name of Franciscans themselves - smaller brothers of the Minorite that in Italian sounds like "Frati" (time was distorted in the "Frari").

The number of followers of St. Francis of Assisi is continuously growing, and in 1250, the year it was decided to build a new Church because the old one could not accommodate all comers. However, construction only began in 1330, the year, and ended after more than a hundred years, in 1443, the year. Even half a century later the Cathedral was consecrated in honor of assumption of the virgin. Until 1810, the year when Napoleon forbade religious order of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari was one of the most popular people of the churches. At the beginning of the 19th century it became a parish, while a number of parishioners. The first significant restoration was carried out in the Cathedral in 1902-1912-m years, and in 1926 year, the year of the 700th anniversary of the death of Francis of Assisi, Pope Pius XI conferred on him the status of a minor Basilica.

To the right of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is located in a former monastery, CA' Grande dei Frari, which operated for six and a half centuries and gave Italy two Popes - Sixtus IV and Sixtus V., In 1810, the year the monastery was turned into barracks, and a few years later was converted into a state archive. Today it stores more than 700 million documents relating to the history of Venice. Near CA' Grande dei Frari you can see the gallery, "the Monastery of the Holy Trinity, which was built by Andrea Palladio.

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, built in the shape of a Latin cross with Central nave and two side aisles, separated from each other by a colonnade of 12 massive columns. Brick Church built in the Italian Gothic style and its facade is decorated with capitals, pilasters and pinnacles in the Venetian-Byzantine style. At the main portal of the 14th to 15th centuries are seen the snow-white statue of the resurrection of Christ, the virgin Mary and Francis of Assisi. The left side has four side entrance. In 1396, the year next to the Cathedral was erected 70-foot brick bell tower that is second tallest in Venice after the bell tower of San Marco Cathedral. On the top it has an observation deck, which boasts spectacular views of the "city on water".

The interior of the Cathedral is decorated with numerous works of art are sculptures of saints, monuments to famous Venetians, including the Doge and the generals, paintings of great artists, sumptuous altars, stucco work and frescoes. Among the attractions of the Church is to highlight the monument to Doge Giovanni Pesaro, made of multicoloured marble in the Baroque style, paintings by Titian, "Pesaro Madonna" and "assumption of the virgin Mary and the tomb of Titian himself, the cross of Christ of the 13th century, a wooden statue of John the Baptist the work of Donatello. In the same Cathedral houses one of the greatest relics of Venice - crystal vase with "Holy Blood of Christ", which according to legend, received the Mary Magdalene after the crucifixion of Christ. This vase was brought to the Italian Peninsula in 1480, the year of Constantinople. And in Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari it is possible to see Austrian unexploded bomb dropped on the Church in February 1918.