/ / The Cathedral Of St. Brand: photo description (Basilica San Marco)

The Cathedral Of St. Brand: photo description (Basilica San Marco)

This monument combines the political, social and religious history of the Venetian Republic. The Cathedral was built in 829 during the reign of Doge, Justiano, Partecipazio to hold the remains of the Evangelist St. Mark, who was the only patron of the city. After a fire in 927 years, the Basilica was rebuilt in 1043-1071 years by the Doge Domenico Contarini.

The lower part of the facade length at 51.8 meters, a little forward, consists of five arches, with columns decorated with capitals East. The middle arch wider than the other. Semicircles of the arches of the portals is covered with mosaics. Between the arches are beautiful Byzantine bas-reliefs of the XII century, depicting the virgin Mary, SV. George, St. Dmitry and. the Entire lower part is covered with a terrace surrounded by a balustrade. In the top - five arches covered with mosaics, decorated with a fantastic Gothic spire. The Central arch wider than the other arches and glazed, it goes light in the Cathedral. In crowning the façade element identifies five round arch in the Eastern style of the XIII century.

On the terrace in front of the glazed Central arched span has four famous bronze horse, which at one time was gilded. This Greek masterpiece IV-III centuries BC, which is attributed to Lysippus. These horses were brought to Venice from Constantinople by Doge Enrico Dandolo in 1204 and installed on the terrace in the year 1250. Recently restored to preserve the integrity of bronze. The originals are currently stored in the Cathedral Museum, have been replaced by copies.

Of the Central portal can be accessed in the atrium - a beautiful gallery of color mosaic. It is divided into arch spans a dome. The walls have marble columns of different origins, some may have been brought from Solomon's temple in Jerusalem. The mosaics on the arches, semicircles and domes depict scenes from the Old and New Testament and episodes from the history of Noah and the flood. They are made by Venetian craftsmen of the thirteenth century.

The three-aisled interior of the Cathedral is divided by arches on marble columns with gilded capitals. Choir the Oriental custom was separated from the sanctuary by the iconostasis, decorated with polychrome marble, with eight columns supporting the architrave, on which is installed statue of the virgin Mary and the Apostles. Marble floors in some places paved with mosaics and uneven due to subsidence of the soil in which the driven piles and on which stands the Cathedral.

In one of the chapels houses the Madonna of Nicopeia (Victorious), a Byzantine icon of the tenth century, which was brought to Venice after the fourth crusade in 1204.

The main altar of the Cathedral keeps the remains of the Evangelist St. Mark in the ballot box behind bars. Above the main altar is installed the real medieval jewelry masterpiece - Pala Doro (Golden image). In 978 Doge Pietro Orseolo ordered this altar masters of Constantinople. In 1105, it was converted by order of the Doge, Ordelafo, Faliero, and in 1209 further enriched with Byzantine gold and enamel. Work with a length of 3.4 meters and a width of 1.4 meters richly decorated with diamonds, emeralds, rubies, topazes.

In the centre of the Baptistery is the baptismal font, made by Titian Mini, Desiderio da Firenze, and Francesco segala in the XV century on a drawing by Jacopo Sansovino. Segal also belongs the statue of SV. John The Baptist. Here among the graves of the famous is Doges and the tomb of Jacopo Sansovino. Granite slab Phoenician origin, on which the altar is perhaps the stove, with which Christ preached. Mosaics covering the walls, vaults and domes, executed by Venetian craftsmen in the fourteenth century and depicts episodes from the life of the Baptist and of Jesus Christ.