/ / Salt gates: photo description of the Porta delle Saline)

Salt gates: photo description of the Porta delle Saline)

Port delle saline is the Salt gate, is one of the tourist attractions of Rapallo. They are located on the Western end of the promenade Vittorio Veneto and separated pedestrian area of the historical centre of the city from the sea. The gate is the only surviving of the five gates of the old walled city, which was once Rapallo. Its name they received because of the proximity to the salt works, which was once owned by a noble Genoese family of Doria, for many years they ran their business on this flat territory in the center of the Bay. The portion of the gate which faces the historical centre of Rapallo, decorated with Baroque altar with a copy of the famous icon of the virgin of Montallegro. Port delle saline escaped destruction thanks to frequent restorations.

The Western gate, also known as the "gateway to the garden," stood at the beginning of the modern street, via Mameli, near the bell tower of the Basilica. Even after its destruction in 1874, the year the inhabitants of Rapallo continued to call the area "In the port" - "Between the doors".

Port Aquilani, or Gate of St. Antonio, was standing next to the hospital (now in its walls is housed the City Hall). It is through them in ancient times was a road in the mountains - even the Romans walked this way to Piacenza. This gate was demolished in 1702-the year on the initiative of the defenders of the hospital, which wanted to build on the site of the gate, a small portal in honour of the virgin Mary, which would connect the Church to lead the way with the hospital.

Port Pozzarello, also called Il Molinello, located on the river San Francesco, is almost opposite the modern hotel HotelEuropa". They obstruct access to the via Venezia, and the center of the ancient city, where for many centuries there was a well with drinking water for the residents of Rapallo. The gate was Snesarev 1810-MGOU.

Finally, the last of the five gates - Porta San Francesco stood at the mouth of the river and was demolished in 1821-the year when the extension of the road to Chiavari.

I must say that the first mention of the walls of Rapallo meet in 1221, the year, but historians are still arguing about whether these defensive walls or just about the fact that the houses of the city were so close to each other that their walls are themselves formed the guard.