/ / The Teatro Lirico Giuseppe Verdi: photos, description (Teatro Lirico Giuseppe Verdi)

The Teatro Lirico Giuseppe Verdi: photos, description (Teatro Lirico Giuseppe Verdi)

The Teatro Verdi Opera house in Trieste, named after the famous Italian composer. Built by private money in the early years of the 19th century, it was originally called Teatro Nuovo, and was built to replace a small theater "Cesareo Regio Teatro di San Pietro", all designed for 800 seats. The first performance on its stage was Simon Mayr's Opera "GinevradiScozia". Teatro Nuovo could accommodate nearly a thousand spectators, and soon became known as the Teatro Grande.

By the end of the 18th century existed in Trieste, the theatre has ceased to meet the needs of the public, and was finally closed in the 1800's. By that time in the Austrian office for several years was a project of a certain Giovanni Matteo's Tommasini with a proposal to build a new theater on its own money with a little help from the municipality. Instead of Tommasini asked for the right of possession of several lodges for personal purposes and the right to sell space to other lodges. The project of the new theatre worked with the architect Gian Antonio Selva, the author of the Venetian "La Fenice". He planned to build a classic auditorium in the shape of a horseshoe, however, proposed exterior decor seemed too modest for the Austrians, who hired another architect, Matteo Parma, to give the theatre the similarities with the Milan Opera "La Scala". In the end, Teatro Nuovo, appeared to be a peculiar mix of La Fenice on the inside and La Scala on the outside.

In 1821, the year of the Teatro Nuovo changed his name to Teatro Grande in this period on the stage hosted the premieres of two operas by Verdi ("Corsair" in 1848 year, the future wife of the composer in the title role and "Stiffelio" in 1850). Here, staged operas, and other eminent composers of that time, for example, Puccini and Wagner. In 1861, the year the theatre became the property of the municipality and again changed name, becoming the Teatro Comunale. Under this name it was known until almost the end of the 19th century. Only in 1881, the year which increased the capacity of two thousand spectators, the theatre was closed for reconstruction, for security reasons. During the reconstruction instead of gas lighting in the theatre was equipped with an electric, and the capacity of the auditorium was again reduced to thousands of places. In 1901, the year the theater was renamed in honor of Giuseppe Verdi in memory of the great Italian.

In the 1990-ies the building was again restored. Today its highlight is the international operetta festival held annually in the summer months.