/ / The Carlo Felice theatre: photos, description (Teatro Carlo Felice)

The Carlo Felice theatre: photos, description (Teatro Carlo Felice)

The Teatro Carlo Felice is the main Opera house of Genoa, where in addition to operas you can see ballet performances, performances of chamber orchestras and musical shows. Located in Piazza Ferrari, the theatre was named after the Duke Carlo Felice. In 1825 the City Council of Genoa has entrusted to the local architect Carlo B to prepare a draft of a new Opera house, which was to be built on the site of the old Church of San Domenico. The Church by that time was demolished and the Dominican friars was transferred to another parish. The first stone in the Foundation of the future of the theatre was laid on 19 March 1826.

Two years later, on 7 April 1828, inaugurated a new stage, which gave the Opera Bellini's "Bianca and Fernando", although the theatre building and its decoration had not been completed. At that time, the theatre could accommodate about 2.5 thousand people, and its acoustics was one of the best in Europe.

For almost 40 years the great composer Giuseppe Verdi, held in Genoa every winter, and he had developed very close friendships with the administration of the Teatro Carlo Felice. On the stage of this theatre staged not one Opera by the famous Italian.

In 1892, Genoa celebrated the 400 anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus, a native of this city. In honor of this historic event, the theater was renovated, which cost the city about 420 thousand TL. By the way, Verdi was asked to write suitable to this Opera, but he refused, citing his advanced age.

9 Feb 1941 shell fired by the British war vessel, struck the roof of the theater, leaving her in a huge hole and destroyed the ceiling of the main hall, which was a unique example of extravagant Rococo style of the 19th century. Later, in August 1943, due to the rupture of the bomb lit up the stage - a fire destroyed all the wooden decorations, but, fortunately, got to the main hall. Serious damage to the theater during the Second world war struck and the marauders who "hunted" for any metal structure, which can be exchanged for money. The facade of the theater was almost completely destroyed during an air RAID in September 1944. What was once one of the most beautiful Opera houses in the world, was in ruins with bare walls and no roof porticos.

Reconstruction of the theater began immediately after the Second World war. The first project of Paolo Antonio Cassie 1951 was rejected, the second is the work of Carlo Scarpa was approved in 1977, but, unfortunately, sudden death of the architect once again stalled restoration. The author of the project, which eventually was restored theatre was Aldo Rossi. Part of the facade was restored to its original appearance, but the interior of the building was completely changed. The theatre was opened to the public in 1991, the main hall now holds up to 2 thousand people, and small - about 200 spectators.