/ / Teatro Massimo: photo description (Teatro Massimo)

Teatro Massimo: photo description (Teatro Massimo)

The Teatro Massimo, located on the Piazza Verdi in Palermo is the largest Opera house in Italy and one of the largest in Europe. In addition, worldwide known for its unique acoustics. The theater was named the first king of United Italy Victor Emmanuel II. Interesting fact - here filmed the final scenes of the legendary film "the Godfather 3".

The construction of the theater commenced in January, 1874 on the initiative of the municipality of Palermo. And for 10 years held an international competition to design the Opera house, according to the conception of its organizers was to serve as a reminder of the creation of new European States - unified Italy. Pobeditelem of the competition was architect Giovanni Battista Filippo Basile, who commenced the erection of the building. However has not passed also several months as the construction was frozen for the whole 8 years and resumed only in 1890. A year later, Basile died, and it took his son Ernesto, who brought the construction to end 22 years after its beginning. May 16, 1897, the Opera house was inaugurated - the first production was the Opera of Giuseppe Verdi's "Falstaff", conducted by Leopoldo Mugnone.

The architect Basile has fulfilled his creation in the neoclassical style with elements of the Greek temples, as was sincerely admired the ancient Sicilian architecture. The main auditorium, which can accommodate up to 3 thousand people and has the shape of a horseshoe with seven lodges, decorated in the style of the late Renaissance. Inside you can see sculptures of the great composers of the world work of Italian Giusto Livy and his sons.

In the 20th century the theater building was carried out serious restoration - it started in 1974 and due to the political crises of those years lasted for 23 years. The renovated theater opened its doors to the public a few days before the centenary of the may 12, 1997. However, the Opera season was opened only in 1999 - during these two years the performances were in small theaters in the neighborhood.