/ / Theatre Petruzzelli: photos, description (Teatro Petruzzelli)

Theatre Petruzzelli: photos, description (Teatro Petruzzelli)

The history of the Theatre Petruzzelli in Bari began in the late 19th century, when Onofrio and Antonio Petruzzelli, traders and ship builders of Trieste, presented the city hall, the theatre project, performed their half-brother, the engineer Angelo Messini. In 1896, the year between the family Petruzzelli and the municipality of Bari, a contract was signed about the construction of the theater. The construction started in 1898 and completed in 1903, the year. This was the biggest in Puglia, the theatre was painted by the artist Raffaele Armenise. 14 Feb 1903 took place the solemn opening of the theater production of "the Huguenots" by Giacomo Meyerbeer.

In 1980-ies the Theatre Petruzzelli became one of the main theaters not only in Italy but also in Europe. There was "Iphigenia in Tauris" of Niccolo Piccinni, which was last raised in 1779, the year in Paris, and the Neapolitan version of the "Puritani" of Bellini, written Maria Malibran, and which nobody put. In addition, on the stage of the theatre performed the ballet troupe and musicians with a world name - Herbert von Karajan, Rudolf Nureyev, Frank Sinatra, ray Charles, Liza Minnelli, Luciano Pavarotti, etc. Franco Zeffirelli filmed a number of scenes for his movies, while the theatre building can be seen in the movie "Star dust" Alberto Sordi.

In October 1991 at the Theater Petruzzelli with great success was "the Norm". But in the night from 26 to 27 October there was a terrible fire which completely destroyed the building. In November 2002, the year the Ministry of culture, the owners of the theatre, the administration of Bari, the province of Bari and the Puglia signed a Memorandum of intention to restore the theater. Then there was a long "dispute" between the owners of the theater and local authorities about who should sponsor the reconstruction. As a result, the Theatre Petruzzelli was only restored in 2008, and with money collected by the inhabitants of the city. The official opening took place in October 2009, years after 18 years after the fire. That day on the stage sang "Ninth Symphony" by Bach under the direction of conductor Fabio Mastrangelo. And the first Opera on the new stage was the "Princess Turandot" by Giacomo Puccini.