/ / The Regio theatre: photos, description (Teatro Regio di Parma)

The Regio theatre: photos, description (Teatro Regio di Parma)

The Regio theatre, formerly known as the Nuovo Teatro Ducale, the Opera house in Parma. The fame of the new theater was purchased in the 1830-ies, especially after it worked great composer Giuseppe Verdi, born in the town of Busseto, 30 km from Parma. Another famous native of Parma, had a hand in the glorification of the theatre - Arturo Toscanini.

The new hall can accommodate 1,400 spectators, was inaugurated in the city on 16 may 1829. The premiere performance had to put the great Rossini, but he was busy, so the honour of opening was given to the Bellini. Despite this, during the first theatrical season this scene was staged three operas by Rossini.

Actually, in Parma have always worked two theatres - the Teatro Farnese, built in 1618, the year, but rarely used, and the Teatro Ducale, a small and low capacity, built in 1688, the year in Piazza Palazzo di Riserva. Soon after construction it became clear that the hall cannot satisfy the needs of citizens, and it was decided to build in Parma new theatre space.

Nuovo Teatro Ducale was built on the site of the former monastery of Sant'alessandro, near the Palazzo Ducale. Its construction began in 1821, the year during the rule of Duchess Marie Louise, second wife of Napoleon I, which chose to divorce him, rather than go into exile. She fully followed the progress of the construction work and that the scenery of the new theatre reflected the severity of the popular in those years of the neoclassical style. In 1829, the year it was built, and after 20 years, it carried out the first restoration work, during which some neo-classical architectural elements were removed or replaced. It was also installed gas lighting, and the ceiling of the auditorium are painted with frescoes by Giovan Battista Borghesi. From 1849 to 1860-th years the theatre was known as the Teatro Real, and only after the unification of Italy in 1861, the year it received its present name - the Teatro Reggio. From 1990, the year the theatre is regularly conducted the Verdi Festival in honor of the great composer, all of the Opera which was put on the stage.