/ / Terni: photo description (Terni)

Terni: photo description (Terni)

Terni is a city located in the South of Umbria in the plain of the Nera river, the administrative capital of the homonymous province. It is 104 km from Rome and 29 km from Spoleto.

Terni was founded around the 7th century BC the tribes of Umbro in the territory, which according to archaeologists was inhabited since the bronze age. In the 3rd century BC the city was captured by the Romans and became an important settlement because it was on one the main road of the Peninsula - via Flaminia. The Romans called it Interamna, which means "between two rivers". It was then, in Roman times, was built the aqueducts, walls, amphitheaters, temples and bridges, greatly adorned the city and contributed to its prosperity.

In the 8th century, after the conquest of the Lombards, Tr has lost its value and became an ordinary provincial town in the Duchy of Spoleto. In 1174 it was sacked by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, but in the following century Terni was one of the places where he loved to read the sermons of St. Francis of Assisi.

In the 14th century the town became an independent commune, and his defensive walls were strengthened. Also like most of the other Italian communes in the late Middle ages, Tr constantly suffered from the endless strife between the parties of Guelphs and Ghibellines. He later became part of the Papal possessions, and in 1580, the city began to engage in artistic casting from iron ore, which was mined in the surroundings of Monteleone di Spoleto, - so began the unique specialization of Terni.

In the 19th century Terni was able to use all the advantages that gave him an accomplished industrial revolution and abundant water resources: was opened factories for the production of steel, foundries, workshops for processing of jute and wool, as well as the weapons factory. In 1927 the city became the capital of the province. However, the presence of important industries made it one of the main targets for allied bombing during the Second World war - only Tr was committed 108 air raids. But despite this, the city quickly recovered and by the end of the 20th century was nicknamed "the Italian Manchester".

Among the main attractions of Terni, which today attract tourists, can be called ancient ruins, the Roman amphitheater, built in 32 BC and once accommodates up to 10 thousand people, and a small Roman Porta Sant'angelo, one of four former city gates in ancient times. One of the few surviving medieval buildings is the Palazzo Mazzancolle. In another Palazzo Gazzoli - erected in the 18th century, today houses the municipal Gallery with works by Pierfrancesco d Amelia, benozzo Gozzoli, Girolamo Tropp and Ornage Metelli. While the municipality of Terni is the Palazzo Spada, built in the 16th century by the architect Antonio da Sangallo the younger.

Of religious buildings worthy of attention in the first place Baroque Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the 17th century on the site of one of the most ancient Christian buildings of Terni. Its facade has two medieval doors, one of which you can see the outline of a wooden Shoe, which once measured the shoes of the residents that it does not exceed the designated boundaries of propriety. Other interesting churches of San Francesco, Sant Alo, San Martino, San Salvatore and the Basilica of San Valentino.

In the vicinity of Terni at the confluence of the river Velino into the river Nera is an artificially created waterfall Cascata delle Marmore with a height of 165 meters, one of the highest in the world.