/ / Torbole Sul Garda: photos, description (Torbole sul Garda)

Torbole Sul Garda: photos, description (Torbole sul Garda)

Torbole Sul Garda is a small town with a population of 2,300 people, in fact consisting of two settlements, Nago and Torbole. Naked lies on the slopes of Monte Altissimo, while Torbole lies at the mouth of the river Sacra on the Eastern shore of lake Garda, surrounded by the mountain chain of Monte Baldo. 5 km away lies the resort of Riva del Garda, and a little further is the town of Arco. Due to the influence of the lake and protection of the surrounding mountains, Torbole Sul Garda throughout the year can boast a temperate climate.

The first settlements on the territory of modern Torbole appeared in the Neolithic age. In 1439, the Venetians in an attempt to establish control over lake Garda descended the river Adige up to Mori, passing through the Valle del Cameras, and crossed the lake, Loppio. A year later they defeated the ruling Visconti family here and took Riva del Garda and the surrounding territory. During the Second World war, all cities of Trentino Alto-Adige was part of the Third Reich, and in 1958 the region gained autonomy.

Initially, the economy Torbole Sul Garda was based on agriculture and fishing, but after gaining autonomy here is actively developing tourism. In 1980 it was in this city held the world Windsurfing championship, and in 1991, the world championship of mountain Biking that brought Torbole worldwide fame. In recent years it has become one of the most popular resorts of lake Garda among the lovers of active holidays.

But the town is interesting for its historical monuments. For example, in Nago preserved Austro-Hungarian FORTS, where today the city has established a Museum. Lock the pend currently under restoration, has a favorable strategic position, which offers wonderful views of the lake. Noteworthy is the Church of San vigilio, Dating from the 16th century, but mentioned in the historical documents from the 13th century.

In Torbole worth seeing the Church of San Andrea, built in 1175 and restored in the Baroque era. Piazza Vittorio Veneto is the Casa Alberti with a fountain on which a bronze plaque memory of Goethe, the great German poet had once visited these places. And on one of the small quays Torbole, you can see Casa del Dazio in the Venetian style, which once housed the excise Department.

20 km from Torbole to Rovereto Museum of modern art "MART", and even further, in Trento, the Buonconsiglio Museum. Give a fun and simple walks through the countryside, surrounded by century-old olive groves.