/ / Street via dei Bottai: photo description (Via dei Bottai)

Street via dei Bottai: photo description (Via dei Bottai)

Via dei Bottai is one of the oldest streets in the historic centre of Bolzano, which is often called "the gateway of the city." It originates from the street via Streiter and still attracts tourists original wrought-iron signs, the numerous artisan workshops. Prior to the beginning of the 13th century the street was called Wegener Gasse by the name of the aristocratic family von Wangen, which owned the Castello Roncolo.

It is through via dei Bottai since the late 13th century and until relatively recent times, was passing all traffic from Brennero. After all, Bolzano was an important medieval trading centre, which came through the Gate of Wangen. The gates were situated on the corner of via Andreas Hofer and via dei Bottai where today is the Museum of nature South Tyrol.

Since the via dei Bottai, thus, was the "front" street of the city, it was surrounded by numerous hotels, restaurants and public institutions, as, indeed, today. Upon arrival in Bolzano, after a long and tiring journey, merchants could rest here and change horses before sending to business meetings in the area "covered galleries". Medieval via dei Bottai was incredibly busy and crowded street that could drive the wagon with six horses. Today this street is part of the city's pedestrian zone, which stretches from vía, Museo through a fruit market to "Covered galleries" in the center of Bolzano.

Via dei Bottai still known for its public institutions, some of which are marked with ancient signs, wrought iron, and some for hundreds of years are all in the same homes. For example, tavern on Eisenhut" and "White horse", which until late in the evening you can sample local meals, or hotels "Hotel Mondschein", known for its cozy wood-paneled dining room, and "Hotel Pfau," which is one of the few buildings of Bolzano, built in the art Nouveau style.

At the end of the street stands the Maximilian house, built in 1512, the year in the late Gothic style. Once it housed the Cabinet of Emperor Maximilian I, and now - the Museum of nature South Tyrol. Opposite you can see the building of the Diocese of Augsburg, where from 1803 till 1899-1 years housed a prison, it has been held in detention Tyrolean freedom fighters Peter Mayr and Andreas Hofer.