/ / Street of via dei Portici: photo description (Via dei Portici)

Street of via dei Portici: photo description (Via dei Portici)

Arcades, or cloisters is, perhaps, the most graceful and beautiful street of Bolzano, which is never overlooked by tourists. Its official name is via dei Portici, and it originates at the Western end of Piazza del Municipio.

Arcade is not only the centre of commercial life in Bolzano, but also one of the best shopping centers of the city. Here is the unbroken chain of elegant and modern shops with their extremely attractive Windows. Special attention should also be paid to the facades of buildings - one of them richly decorated with stucco floral motifs in the Baroque style and decorated with distinctive Bay window - wooden shutters.

As is well known, Bolzano was founded around 1180, the year. And its the first street - Lauben-Gasse, or a Street with Arcades, is still the pulsing center of a thriving trading town. It stretches from the East to the West 300 meters. On the Northern side of the castle adjacent to the old city wall, demolished in 1277 the year by order of the Tyrolean count Meinhard II. The street can be had from both ends through a gate. Since the founding of the city traders sold fruit and vegetables before the Upper Gate, where today there is a Fruit market.

Originally the house, built in the Romanesque style, had one floor and an arched stone portico in front. Later, on the first floor, built also of stone, could build on wooden floors. However, after several devastating fires and the upper floors were built of stone. Today, a typical house, hidden behind the famous arcades, has only 4 yards wide, 50 meters deep and consists of sections, facing the street, and the Central and rear sections separated by the atrium. Presumably also, all the houses on the via dei Portici was decorated with paintings or frescoes.

Special attention to tourists usually pay for the building of the old town Hall, which up until 1906, the year was located in the municipality of Bolzano. It is a Gothic Lancet arch, framed in Sandstone, and fragments of the original frescoes, executed about 1491, the year Conrad Provider. Also pay attention to the archway house Casa Troilo, which originally served as direct access to the Cathedral of Bolzano.