/ / The Corso Italia: photos, description (Corso Italia)

The Corso Italia: photos, description (Corso Italia)

Corso Italia, until the 19th century was known as the Borgo Maestro, one of the main streets of Arezzo. This broad straight street, which arose in ancient times, starts from the bastione di Santo Spirito and goes to the Portico of Piazza Grande. In the Middle ages it rose to the top of the hill where today you can see the Porta San Biagio, closed in the 15th century. A long and straight street, which was quite unusual for medieval towns, perfect for holding horse races. Indeed, until recently, annually in Corso Italia, arranged horse-drawn carriage rides - the "Palio Alla Lunga dei kavali sentsa fantino". Today on this street you can see buildings of great architectural and historical importance.

Palazzo Pretorio is situated in the upper part of the Corso Italia, which is called via dei Pileati. This is one of the most impressive buildings of Arezzo, now occupied by the city library. The Palazzo consists of three separate buildings, which in the past belonged to the noble family of Arezzo - Albergotti, Sassòli and Lodomeria. They were all built in the 13th century and later expanded and rebuilt. Palazzo Sassòli, for example, for nearly 500 years was used as a prison. The facade has preserved the family arms of the 15th-16th centuries, which belonged not only to the noble citizens, but captains and Podesta, who played an important role in the political life of Siena.

Palazzo Albergotti was owned by one of the oldest families of the city. It is on the corner of Corso Italia and via degli Albergotti. The Palace was built in the 13th century, then rebuilt several times, and in the 16th century was handed over to the Bacci family. In 1901, the year the Palazzo was bought by local Bank, which financed its restoration, and adorned the building with works of Galileo Chini. From 1954, the year in Palazzo Albergotti houses the national Archive.

Between the Palazzo and the Palazzo Albergotti Kamayani is Torre della Bigazza, built in 1351, the year. During the reign of the Nazi regime, it was increased in height, like other medieval towers of Arezzo. And Palazzo Camaiani also known as the Palazzo del CAPITANO, it was built in the 13th century on the site of an older building. At that time the Palace belonged to the family of Lodomeria, and only in the 14th century passed to the family Kamayani. Palazzo was one of the most impressive in Florence, but unfortunately was seriously damaged during the Second World war. After the war it was reconstructed on Ivan Bruschi, a prominent art collector, became his property. And after the death Sticks in the Palazzo Camaiani is a Museum in his name.

There are in Corso Italia, and other interesting buildings. For example, the parish Church of Santa Maria della Pieve is one of the largest and most beautiful Romanesque churches of Tuscany and, of course, a symbol of medieval Arezzo. It was built in the 12th century on the site of the Roman temple of mercury and later expanded. The facade of the Church is very original, attract the attention of three rows of loggias with different number of columns. In 1330, the year was built the bell tower, received the nickname of "the Bell tower of the Hundred Holes" because of the vast number of Windows.

Also worth seeing is the Palazzo Marsuppini the 14th century, Palazzo Lambardi with a remarkable facade, partially destroyed, and that until Altucci is one of the oldest and most famous medieval buildings of Arezzo, Palazzo dei Botoli the 13th century, the Palazzo Spadaro with a luxurious lobby, and grotesque images of the 17th century, Palazzo Guillitine with the Gallery of modern art, Palazzo Brandela and the house where he was born Alessandro Dal Borro was an Italian military leader.