/ / The farm Cascina Sant'ambrogio in Brugherio: photos, description (Cascina Sant'ambrogio)

The farm Cascina Sant'ambrogio in Brugherio: photos, description (Cascina Sant'ambrogio)

Cascina Sant'ambrogio is the oldest farm in the town of Brugherio in the Italian region of Lombardy. Located near the Church of Sant'ambrogio, from which it received its name.

In the 4th century the farm belonged to the Milanese Bishop Ambrose, who gave the land and was there the monastery of his sister Marcelline. To her he gave some of the relics of the three biblical Magi (Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar), which were kept in the Basilica of Sant of Sant'eustorgio in Milan. The Bishop himself the last years of his life spent on a farm in solitude and prayer.

In 1098, the year the local monastery was occupied by Benedictine monks, but between the 12th and 14th centuries all the land and buildings they passed to different religious orders. Until 1362, the year it was the monks maintained their possessions.

At the end of the 16th century, the monastery was visited by the cardinal Carlo Borromeo and Federigo Borromeo, who found here the Holy relics, recognizing them as the relics of the Magi. In 1613, the year the Shrine was moved to the parish Church of San Bartolomeo, and the cultivation of the soil, instructed the inhabitants of the monastery. But despite the extension of the possessions of the monastery, after it was taken out the relics of the Magi, began a period of decline that lasted until the abolition of the monastic order during the reign of Napoleon.

In 1804, the year the land was purchased by graphs, Ottolini, and in 1844, the year she became the property of Giuseppe Rizzi, who began the restoration of farming activities. Later, the farm several times passed from hand to hand, and at the end of the 19th century was restored with the Church of Sant Ambrogio. Another restoration, very radical in its effects, took place in 1952, the year. Today, former farm building and transformed into private residences.

The main farmhouse has a U-shape with a long porch, consisting of 18 granite arcades is all that remains of the monastic cloister. On the East side, next to the Church, you can see the old structure of the room, once decorated with frescoes depicting the three wise men. In 1844, the year this room was used as a mill. The facade of the building facing the via dei Mille, decorated with balconies with wrought iron railings. Once here you can go directly to the city center, passing through the shady alley.