/ / Foro Italico: photos, description (Foro Italico)

Foro Italico: photos, description (Foro Italico)

Foro Italico is one of the quays of Palermo, stretching from Cala to the street via Giulia in the quarter of the Kalsa. From 1734 to 1860 it was called Foro Borbonico named ruled in Sicily the Bourbon dynasty, after the unification of Italy in 1860, received its present name. Before World war II, the sea came right up to the modern streets. Directly to the years of conflict during air raids on the city from both the Germans and the Americans, some parts of the port and the historic centre of Palermo was destroyed. After the war, most of the debris was brought here, so the sea receded, and the quay, respectively, expanded. For many years this area remained abandoned and neglected. Then stopped here traveling circuses, and for some time at this place was an amusement Park. And only in the late 1990s - early 2000-ies was carried out a complete restoration of the area, turned into one of the most popular waterfronts in the city.

The decision to transform an abandoned area into a territory was made on the eve of the UN conference on the fight against organized crime, held in Palermo in December 2000. At the Grand opening of the promenade, designed by architect Carmelo Bostinto, was attended by former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Today the pedestrian Foro Italico with its extensive green areas is about 40 thousand sq. m.: alleys, benches, ceramic sculptures, bike paths, night illumination and a beautiful landscape - all that daily attracts hundreds of visitors to relax and enjoy the sea.