/ / Fort Exilles: photos, description (Forte di Exilles)

Fort Exilles: photos, description (Forte di Exilles)

Exilles Fort - a huge fortress in Val di Susa, producing a lasting impression, was opened to the public in 2000-m to year thanks to the cooperation of the government of the Piedmont region and the National Museum Montagna Cai-Torino. A fine example of the Franco-Savoyard military architecture, the fortress itself today turned into a Museum. Two tour routes allow visitors to explore the history of this structure: one built inside the Fort, shows the different levels of the fortress and its functions, and the second offers to admire the surrounding scenery. Stone soldiers, sculptures, paintings and photos accompany the visitors during their travel into the past and tell a long history of the Fort.

The first fortified building on the cliff on the right Bank of the river Dora is mentioned in documents in 1155, the year when the counts'albon controlled the road leading to Monginevro. This place already had a strategic military importance, and Exilles was the Eastern outskirts of the Ducal possessions. In 1339, the year on the rock stood a real defense system - it was a rare example of the so-called "roadside castle. In the second half of the 16th century the castle became a bone of contention between Catholics and reformers who wanted to control the province of Dauphine, in those years raspolagayutsya on both sides of the Alps. After signing in 1601, the year of the Lyon of the Treaty of Fort Exilles for a long time was outside the purview of international politics. Only in 1708, the year of the Savoy army under the leadership of Victor Amedeus II was able to capture the whole of the Val di Bardonecchia and the old fortress. The conquest of Piedmont and the Alpine valleys of the Dora and the Chisone and their subsequent takeover of the house of Savoy in 1713, the year has defined a new strategic position of the entire Savoyard state. Fort Exilles was significantly upgraded and rebuilt and its fortifications were turned in the direction of France. In the second half of the 18th century there were held a number of reconstructions. Despite this, in 1796-the year of the French troops razed the fortress to the ground, and only in 1818-1829-m years the Fort was rebuilt in the form in which we see it today, - in accordance with the standards of military architecture of the time.

After the Second World war the Fort was abandoned Exiles. All that could be carried or taken away, was looted, from the wooden window frames and ending with the electric cables. Only in 1978 year, the castle was acquired by the government of Piedmont, which immediately developed a plan for its restoration, and in 2000-m to year at Fort Exilles the Museum was opened.