/ / Temple Gibilmanna: photos, description (Sanctuary of Gibilmanna)

Temple Gibilmanna: photos, description (Sanctuary of Gibilmanna)

Temple Gibilmanna - Christian sanctuary, located in the province of Palermo near the town of cefalù. It stands at an altitude of 800 meters above sea level on the slopes of mount Pizzo Sant'angelo, which is part of the mountain chain of Madonie.

According to legend, Gibilmanna was one of the six Benedictine monasteries, built by order of Pope Gregory I the Great at his own money before his election to the Holy see. And earlier on this place there was a Church dedicated to the Archangel Michael.

Most likely, the building of the monastery was in ruins, when in the 9th century the territory was conquered by the Arabs, and in his little Church there were several hermitages. After Sicily was dominated by the Normans, there began an active construction of Christian churches. In 1178 new mentions of Gibilmanna, and in 1228 she became a Priory is subordinate to the Abbey, a small monastery, and thus no longer belonged to benedictinorum.

In 1535 he settled in Gibilmanna father Sebastiano Majo da gratteri inside, one of the first followers of the Capuchins. Next to the old Benedictine chapel was built a new monastery, and in the early 17th century and the chapel it was decided to replace the new Church. The main construction work was completed in 1623 and in 1625 was added to the sacristy and entrance stairs. The front portico was located. The new Church was received, so to speak, inherited from the old icon of the Madonna and child, Byzantine frescoes, a statue of the virgin Mary and the crucifix, also made in the Byzantine style. For the high altar was commissioned a new painting of the assumption of the blessed virgin. The old chapel was completely demolished. In the same 17th century the monastery was enlarged and improved, and here there are some works of art, including statues of St. John the Baptist and Saint Helena. And in 1907, after the collapsed portico, the facade of the Church was redesigned in neo-Gothic style.