/ / Temple of Minerva: photos, description (Tempio di Minerva)

Temple of Minerva: photos, description (Tempio di Minerva)

The ancient temple of Minerva was built in Assisi by the Romans in the 1st century BC In the era of the square before the temple was the main center of the city, and probably some of the first Christians were executed here. By the end of 4 or early 5th century, paganism was almost universally banned, and the temple was abandoned but, fortunately, not destroyed. Approximately in the 6th century monks from the order of the Benedictines rebuilt it and used in their religious purposes. They divided the interior into two sections, creating a living space in the upper part and the Church of San Donato in the lower part. In the 13th century, the monks gave the Church the use of the newly formed commune of Assisi - 1215 1270 for years here the seat of government of the city. Then, until the 15th century, the Church building was used as a city prison.

Only in 1456 the Church returned to its sacred significance, and the Church of San Donato reopened for parishioners. At the same time, the Italian Renaissance has stirred up people's interest in classical art and architecture. Therefore, 1527 - 1530, it was decided to completely renovate the ancient temple.

When the ground drew female statue, it was decided that the temple was dedicated to Minerva, the goddess of wisdom, although the discovery of further metal disc with the name of Hercules allows you to make more credible the assumption that the temple still was erected in his honor.

Surprisingly the facade of the temple has been preserved very well: it is decorated with six columns kannelirovannymi over the age of 2 thousand years, which supported Corinthian capitals and standing on plinths leading to the pronaos - semi-open part between the porch and the Holy place. In 1539, at the initiative of Pope Paul III, the inner sanctuary of the temple was transformed into the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva (the Church with the same name in Rome), and in the 17th century here added some Baroque elements. Then the temple was handed over to the monks of the Franciscan order.