/ / Temple Montallegro: pictures, description (Santuario di Montallegro)

Temple Montallegro: pictures, description (Santuario di Montallegro)

The temple of Montallegro in Rapallo is one of the most important temples in Liguria, dedicated to the cult of the virgin Mary. It was built in honor of the apparition of the virgin Mary to the peasant Giovanni Chichizola 2 July 1557, the year in the place formerly known as Montes Laeti - the Mountains of Death. Later the name was transformed in the culture of Dublin, and already hence the modern Montallegro. According to legend, the virgin Mary said to the peasant: "Go and tell the people of Rapallo, that I want to be respected here." The temple itself was built in 1559, the year. Every year in early July in the vicinity of the temple takes place the famous festival, which lasts three days - from 1st to 3 July. During the day there are religious processions and Church services, and in the evening the sky lit up with thousands of fireworks reflected in the waters of the Bay.

The beautiful marble facade of the Church of Montallegro was designed by architect, Revelli at the end of the 19th century. Inside the vaults of the Church are covered with frescoes of the Genoese artist Nicolo B, and altars of white marble are striking for their decorations. The walls are visible brought hundreds of votive objects - paintings, carvings, jewelry, gifted to the Church those who in moments of need turned to the Madonna of Montallegro and got help. Above the main altar hangs a miraculous image of the virgin Mary, left in place its phenomena as a sign of favour to the inhabitants of Rapallo, along with the equally wonderful source that appeared there, his water was supplied to the fountain, which can be seen today in one of the chapels of the temple. Icon depicting the virgin Mary - a rare example of Byzantine art is linked to another mysterious story. After she was placed in the temple, she saw some of the natives of the Dalmatian coast (modern Croatia) and said that this icon actually belongs to the city of Dubrovnik. Honest residents of Rapallo have decided to return to the icon home, but while traveling in Dalmatia, she mysteriously disappeared and was re-discovered in the temple of Montallegro. After this it was decided that this is the will of the virgin Mary, and the icon was left in Rapallo.

Temple, Montallegro is in a beautiful area at an altitude of 600 meters above sea level, in the heart of oak grove. From the square in front of the Church offers breathtaking views of the West coast of the Gulf of Tigullio, with the towns of Rapallo and Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino promontory. The city center temple connects a cable car lift which takes only 6.5 minutes, and public transport. And from the temple you can go for a walk in the old village of Uscio, Chicana, Chiavari, which are ancient donkey trails.