/ / The sanctuary of Montenero: photo description (Santuario di Montenero)

The sanctuary of Montenero: photo description (Santuario di Montenero)

The sanctuary of Montenero, dedicated to the Holy virgin of Graces, the patron Saint of Tuscany, is a religious complex located on Monte Nero, in Livorno and is a place of pilgrimage. The complex has the status of a Basilica, is in charge of the monastic order, vallombrosian. It features a gallery, which collected a huge number of items, brought here by vow for a happy rescue at sea.

The history of the temple dates back to 1345-th year, when at the time of the celebration of the Trinity, a poor crippled shepherd found the miraculous image of the virgin Mary. Obeying intuition, he took him on the hill of Montenero, which popularly was known as a refuge of robbers, and was considered a dangerous and dark place, this "mountain devil".

News of sacred discovery quickly spread through the neighborhood, and in 1380, the year work began on the construction on the hill of the chapel. The first custodians of the Church were the Franciscans-terciario then they were replaced by Jesuits, and later, in the 17th century, teatini. In 1720, the year teatini began the expansion of the temple, which was finished in 1744, the year - in particular, was constructed the oval atrium with rich scenery. At the same time, there have been several miraculous apparitions of the Madonna, for example, the phenomenon of 1742, the year when Livorno was an earthquake. After the abolition of the Grand Duke of Tuscany Pietro Leopoldo of all religious orders, the sanctuary of Montenero was in decline and almost in ruins. Fortunately, he was subsequently restored and rebuilt.

Behind the sanctuary of Montenero you can see carved in the hill caves that probably served as a refuge for robbers, and which more than one hundred years. At the beginning of the 20th century these caves were expanded in the course of sunglasses works, and during the Second World war, they again turned into the shelter. In 1971, the year the cave is fully strengthened and opened for inspection.