/ / The Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli and Santa Maria di Montesanto: photos, description of Santa Maria dei Miracoli e Santa Maria di Montesanto)

The Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli and Santa Maria di Montesanto: photos, description of Santa Maria dei Miracoli e Santa Maria di Montesanto)

Santa Maria dei Miracoli and Santa Maria di Montesanto are two Baroque churches in Rome, located in Piazza del Popolo, facing the Northern gate of the Aurelian Walls. The Church is often called twins because of their similarity of appearance, but in fact in their plan and details there are many differences.

When viewed from the side of the square, we can see that churches celebrate the so-called "trilogie" streets, diverging in different directions from the square, via del Babuino, via del Corso and via di Ripetta. The first two separated by the Church of Santa Maria in Montesanto, and the latter separated the Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli.

The origin of the churches has its roots in the 17th century when were restored building that served as the main entrance to Rome of the Middle ages and the Renaissance period. Pope Alexander II commissioned the architect Carlo Rainaldi to create a monumental entrance to the street of via del Corso. The construction of both churches was financed by cardinal Girolamo Gastaldi, whose crest can be seen on both temples.

Santa Maria in Montesanto was built on the site of the Church and for some time belonged to the order of Carmelites. The name Montesanto - the Holy Mountain refers to mount Carmel in Israel. The construction of the Church started in 1662 and ended in 1675 (some items were added in 1679). The original plan of the Church developed Rainaldi was modified by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Carlo Fontana. The bell tower was built in the 18th century. Statues of saints on the outside attributed to Bernini. In 1825, the Church received the status of Basilica Minor. Inside one can admire the chapel of Santa Lucia, Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzi and Montioni. The presbytery is decorated with stucco and notable altarpiece with the image of the virgin Mary Montesanto 15th century. According to legend, this image was written by 11-year-old girl.

Santa Maria dei Miracoli was built in 1675 1681. The elegant bell tower was erected in the 18th century Girolamo of Teodoli. The Church is decorated with stucco Antonio Raggi, a pupil of Bernini. Here you can see the monuments for cardinals Benedetto and Gastaldi of the work of Carlo Fontana, who also designed the octagonal dome. Busts in bronze - the creation of Girolamo Lucenti.