/ / The Church of gesù e Maria: photo description (Gesu e Maria)

The Church of gesù e Maria: photo description (Gesu e Maria)

Gesù e Maria, literally translated, "Jesus and Mary", a Baroque Church in the heart of Rome, Campo Marzio in the street of via del Corso. Faces in the direction of another Baroque Church of San Giacomo in Augusta. More correct name of the Church - the Chiesa dei Santi Mr. come gesù e Maria. In 1967, at the initiative of Pope Paul VI received the status of titular churches.

The construction of the Church of gesù e Maria began in 1633, the year by the architect Carlo Buzio known as Carlo Milanese. Initially it was intended for the Augustinian. Construction work was completed in 1635 and the following year the Church was consecrated in honor of Jesus and Mary. Later the architect Carlo Rainaldi was hired to create a simple facade of white limestone (1671-1674.), and also for interior decoration in the Baroque style. Work on the interior of the Church lasted from 1678 and 1690 under the patronage of the Bishop Giorgio Bolognetti. In the 18-19 centuries the Church belonged to the Jesuits.

The arches of the Church and the main altar depicting the "Coronation of the virgin" (1679) painted by Giacinto brandi. Stucco - creation of Gramineae and Mons Michele. A fresco at the entrance to the sacristy belong to the brush of Giovanni Lanfranco. In one of the chapels of the Church contains the tombs of Ercole and Luigi Bolognetti, the brothers Bishop (monument to the last can be seen in the nave). And the tombstones of the family Corno, located at the entrance, the work of Ercole Ferrata and Domenico Guidi, pupils of Bernini.