/ / The Church and monastery of the Annunciation: photos, description (Chiesa Dell'annunziata)

The Church and monastery of the Annunciation: photos, description (Chiesa Dell'annunziata)

The Church and monastery of the Annunciation was erected in Marsala in the late 15th century on the site of an ancient temple, which became the sacristy of the new Church, and other surrounding premises were converted into a chapel. One of them is dedicated to St. Onofrio, with the now-lost marble statue became the burial place of princes Petrulla. In the 16th century a chapel was built for a noble family Grignani, which has long been the statue of the Madonna del Popolo, the work of Domenico Gagini. Today it is kept in the Cathedral of Marsala.

The interior of the Church, except the chapel of the Madonna del Popolo, is a reflection of past eras. Numerous memorial plaques adorned the floor and walls, among them a plaque of notary Rosario Alagna di Mothia (1799) and fine sarcophagi families Requests and Grignani that made the Church his mausoleum. Once the Church of the Annunciation was one of the most important monuments of the Renaissance in Marsala.

The collapse of the roof and the destruction of most of the situation by bombing during the Second World war pose great difficulties for the restoration of the building. The current decoration of the Church seems cold and inhospitable not help with marble floor, iron spiral staircase in the main hall and partially preserved roof.

In recent years, the Church was used for town library, which kept discovered in 1979, the documents of the historical archive. In 1996 the restoration of the monastery of San Pietro, and a large part of the library was moved there, however, the historical archive has remained in the Church building.

Of particular value is the monastery Church of the Annunciation. The oldest part was built in 14-15 centuries. Inside you can see frescoes (dated 15-16 centuries and in the style more typical of Eastern Sicily. In 1862, the monastery complex became the property of the Ministry of Finance, which in the late 19th - early 20th century gave it to the carabinieri (mounted police). After the Second world war, the monastery was abandoned and gradually began to decline - the top floor even demolished, for safety reasons.

Only in the 1990-ies began restoration work, which was restored monastery courtyard. Right in the center found the well and Chang, the former part of a underground room, the purpose of which remains unknown. Today in the monastery complex there is an Exhibition of Contemporary Art, and hosts a variety of performances.