/ / The Church and monastery of Gerolamini: photos, description Chiesa dei Girolamini)

The Church and monastery of Gerolamini: photos, description Chiesa dei Girolamini)

The Church and monastery of Gerolamini is a religious complex in Naples, located opposite the Cathedral on via Duomo. The facade of the Church overlooks the homonymous square and the street via Tribunali.

The Church was built on the site of a more ancient building, Palazzo Seripando, which was purchased in 1586, the year for priests of the congregation of oratorians of St. Philip Neri. After the Palace was demolished in 1592, the year started the construction of the temple under the project of the Florentine architect Giovanni Antonio Dosio. The building was completed in 1619, the year. The Church was built in the style of the Florentine Renaissance in the form of a Latin cross with three naves supported by arched colonnades and side chapels. It was originally dedicated to the virgin Mary and All the saints.

The Church is notable for two clouatre. The first is known as "Chiostro majolica" because of its ceramic tiles majolica. The second, larger, a cloister of the 17th century is connected with the first, it is possible to get into the so-called "Quadreria, which stores works of art, and a wonderful library of Girolamini administered by the Italian government. The facade of the Church was completed in 1780, the year Ferdinando Fuga. Today it is possible to see statues of saints Peter and Paul sculptor Giuseppe Sammartino. And the rear facade of the Church is notable for the painting of Giordano with the image of Christ. Besides the temple you can see frescoes on religious themes, the paintings of Francesco Fracanzano, Beneski, Francesco di Maria, Luca Giordano, Guido Reni and others.

We should also speak about the library of Girolamini, which is part of the Church since the 16th century. It contains thousands of manuscripts and printed editions. In 2012-2013 the years the library was in the center of a big scandal when it was revealed that its Director illegally sold ancient texts. During the investigation, most of the texts were found, although some rarities are still considered lost. The Director was sentenced to seven years in prison, later commuted to house arrest.