/ / The Church and convent of San Giovanni Evangelista: photos, description (Monastero di San Giovanni Evangelista)

The Church and convent of San Giovanni Evangelista: photos, description (Monastero di San Giovanni Evangelista)

San Giovanni Evangelista Church in Parma, part of a religious complex, which includes also a Benedictine convent and grocery store. Work on the construction of the monastery and Church began in the 10th century, and were conducted in the small chapel of San Colombano.

In 1477, the year the complex was severely damaged by fire. The restoration of the Church began soon after, in 1490, the year, and was completed in the early 16th century. On the project of temple was worked by the architect Bernardino Zaccagni. From the very beginning was provided by a careful interior decoration, to which were invited young then Correggio. The artist created five groups of murals in the arched doorway under the arch, the dome, the vaults of the apse in the chapel, the Cappella Maggiore (partly destroyed), the walls of the choir (completely destroyed) and on the frieze running along the perimeter of the Church. In 1524, the year of Correggio also painted two paintings in the chapel Del Bono, now preserved in the National gallery of Parma. On the marble facade of the Church in the Baroque style worked Simone Moschino - he completed it in 1607, the year. The bell tower, standing to the right of the temple, probably the work of Giovanni Battista Magnani is a towering 75 feet above the ground, it is the tallest in Parma.

Inside the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista is in the form of a Latin cross with Central nave and two side aisles with cross vaults and cupola. The interior is decorated with numerous frescos, paintings, sculptures and architectural elements dated to different periods. Attraction of the Church is the baptismal font, standing on a Roman pedestal 1 th century.

Also noteworthy is the monastery, which is part of the religious complex. It has three cloisters: the first attracts the attention of ionic columns, second - decorations Correggio, and the third - frescoes from the early 16th century. The local library contains ancient manuscripts and codices, brought here from the monastery of Santa Giustina in Padua. Tourists also visiting the grocery store, working with 1201-year.