/ / Jesus Church: photo description (Chiesa del Gesu)

Jesus Church: photo description (Chiesa del Gesu)

Jesus Church is the mother Church of the Roman Catholic Jesuit order, its official name is the Santissimo Nome di gesù al Argentina. Located in Piazza del gesù. The facade of this Church is considered the first truly Baroque façade, which introduced the Baroque style into architecture. And the Church itself served as a model for a huge number of churches of the Jesuits throughout the world, especially in the Americas. Conceived in 1551 by Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit order, the Church has also been home to the General of the society of Jesus (the Jesuits) until the dissolution of the order in 1773.

Jesus Church was built on the site of the temple of Santa Maria della Strada, which Loyola had once prayed before an icon of the virgin Mary. This icon, now decorated with precious stones, kept in the chapel of Ignatius to the right of the altar. The construction of the Church began in 1568 by the architect Vignola. In addition to his over the construction of the Church worked for several architects including Giacomo della Porta, the authorship of which belong to the cross-vault, dome and apse. Inside the Church there is no narthex in which to linger: the visitor goes directly to the main room, the Central nave without side aisles, and his attention attracted by the high altar. Instead of side aisles — a series of interconnected chapels, the entrance to which is highlighted with decorative railings. Mosaic coating of white marble punctuated with gilding, frescoed barrel vault decorates the ceiling and stucco and marble sculptures stand out for their volumes.

The facade of the Church of Jesus is divided into two parts. The bottom consists of six pairs of columns with Corinthian capitals, and the top is divided into 4 pairs of columns. The main entrance is located under a curvilinear tympanum, and the side doors are under a triangular.

It is believed that the first altar of the Church was made by Giacomo della Porta, but in the 19th century, it was converted Antonio Sarti. Sarti has also covered the walls of the apse of the marble. At the altar you can see sculptures of angels, the work of Rinaldo Rinaldi. The altarpiece is the work of Alessandro Capaldi. One of the most outstanding elements of the interior of the Church are ceiling frescoes by Giovanni Battista Gaulli, who also painted the dome.

Deserve special attention the chapel of the Church is the Cappella di Sant Andrea with frescoes Agostino Ciampelli, Capella della Pasion with a bronze urn, which holds the remains of St. Giuseppe Pignatelli, Capella degli Angeli, with a ceiling fresco by Federico Zuccari, spacious chapel of St Francis Xavier, designed by Pietro da Cortona, the chapel of the Sacro Cuore and others In presbyterii kept a bust of cardinal Robert Bellarmine by Bernini. The most ambitious chapel of the Church is the chapel of St. Ignatius — it was built by the architect Andrea Pozzo in 1699-1700. The tomb of the Saint is located here.