/ / CA ' Rezzonico: photo description (Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore)

CA ' Rezzonico: photo description (Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore)

CA ' Rezzonico dedicated to Christ the Saviour, erected on the waterfront of the Giudecca island in Venice. Its construction was initiated by the Doge Sebastian the Great, with the support of the Council of Ten, and worked on a project for a prominent architect of his time, Andrea Palladio. In 1577, the year was laid the first stone in the Foundation of the Church, and the building was completed in 1592, the year. Immediately it was decided to consecrate a Church in honour of Christ the Savior in gratitude to a higher power for the deliverance of Venice from the terrible plague, which in 1575-76-m years has claimed about 50 million lives. In honor of this event in Venice annually celebrate the Festa del Redentore.

Despite the fact that the Senate of Venice wanted the new Church was a square plan, Palladio designed a single nave Church with three chapels on each side. Its location on the waterfront of the Canale della Giudecca gave the architect the opportunity to create the facade of the Church in the image of the Parthenon in Athens and place it on a broad basis. To the entrance of the temple led 15 steps that reminded the Jerusalem Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and, in addition, on the idea of Palladio, symbolize a gradual ascent of believers." At the urgent request of Pope Gregory XIII immediately after the consecration of the Redentore was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Capuchin order and some monks settled in the adjoining to the Church of the monastery.

Today, the Church of Il Redentore is considered one of the masterpieces of the work of the great Andrea Palladio. It is a huge whitewashed building, crowned with a dome with the statue of Christ the Savior. On the façade a Central triangular pediment hangs over the lower, larger, and this is reminiscent of the facade of the other creations of Palladio - Church of San Francesco della Vigna in the Castello district of Venice. The total height of the Church of Il Redentore is four-fifths of the width, and the width of the Central part of the Church is five-sixths of its height. Such geometric proportion was characteristic of Palladio.

It is believed that the exterior of the Church, there are some Eastern elements, in particular, the two bell towers vaguely resembling minarets. The interior of the Church is amazing - the white stucco, gray marble and the domed Central nave create a feeling of grandeur and at the same time harmony. On the walls you can see paintings by Francesco Bassano, Carlo Saraceni, Rocco Marconi, Paolo Veronese and Tintoretto. In the sacristy houses a collection of wax heads of the Franciscans, made in 1710, the year.