/ / The Church of Chiesa Nuova: photo description (Chiesa Nuova)

The Church of Chiesa Nuova: photo description (Chiesa Nuova)

Chiesa Nuova, which can be translated as the New Church, - this Church, built in Assisi in 1615, on the supposed birth place of St. Francis of Assisi. According to legend, there once stood the house of his father, Pietro di Bernardone. The name of the Church was for the fact that was the last Church built at the time.

In 1613 Assisi was visited by Antonio de Trejo, the Spanish vicar General of the Franciscan order, and he was extremely saddened by the fact that the house in which was born the great Saint, was in a terrible condition. With the help of the Spanish Embassy in Rome and the generous donations of 6 thousand ducats from the king Philip III, vicar bought this house. In 1615, Pope Paul V had confirmed the authenticity of the purchase and blessed the construction of a new Church. In the same year, in the Foundation of the temple was laid the first stone was solemnly brought from the Cathedral of San Rufino. It is believed that the architect of the Church was a monk Rufino di Cerchiara, who supervised the construction.

Chiesa Nuova, built in late Renaissance style, stands a huge dome, divided into caissons with a lantern dome drum. The Church itself is in plan a Greek cross with a Central nave and transepts of equal length, the creation of which the architect was inspired by the Romanesque Church of Sant Eligio degli Orefici, one of several churches designed by the great Raphael. Inside the Chiesa Nuova is decorated with frescoes by Cesare Cermei and Giacomo Giorgetti (17th century).

The main altar of the Church was installed above the room of Saint Francis. In the adjacent monastery is a small Museum and a library, which stores important Franciscan texts and books. Here you can see a small shop where Francis sold his clothes, and the cell where he was imprisoned by the will of the father. It was there that Francis decided to accept and finally renounce worldly goods.