/ / Church of the Magione: photo description (Chiesa della Magione)

Church of the Magione: photo description (Chiesa della Magione)

Magione Church - the Church in the East part of Palermo, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Built in the late 12th century at the expense of the patron, Matteo d'angelo, he is a beautiful example of architecture from the late Norman period in Sicily. Magione, along with the two other churches of the Archdiocese of Palermo privileged title of "minor Basilica".

The exact date of the start of construction of the temple is unknown, but historians agree that the Foundation was laid between 1150 and 1190. We only know what is already in 1191 Magione passed into the possession of the Cistercian order - it happened at the behest of Matteo d'angelo. Six years later, the Church became property of the Teutonic knights, this time on the orders of Emperor Henry VI. And at the end of the 15th century Magione turned into an ordinary parish Church.

Like many other buildings of Palermo's Magione Church was seriously damaged during the Second World war during air raids on the city. At follow-up in 1950-1960-ies the restoration of the interior of the Church was freed from many Baroque elements that gave him back his original appearance. Today Magione, as mentioned above, is one of the most well-preserved examples of a late Sicilian-Norman architecture.

The facade of the Church - a rigorous and concise - it consists of three tiers, which in turn form blind arches. There are no complicated inlays and decorations, so characteristic of other cathedrals of Palermo. Inside Magione is a three-nave Basilica, the narrow side aisles which are separated from the nave by two rows of marble columns. Columns crowned with pointed arches. The interior of the Church is also simple and practically devoid of ornaments, only in the left nave you can see the tombstones of the knights of the Teutonic order.

To one of the walls of Magione you will find a covered gallery of double columns with beautiful capitals is the cloister, forming a courtyard. The architecture of the cloister suggests that on its creation worked the same craftsmen who built the Cathedral of Monreale, outside of Palermo.