/ / The Church of the Carmelite Order: photos, description (Chiesa del Carmine)

The Church of the Carmelite Order: photos, description (Chiesa del Carmine)

The Church of the Carmelite Order better known as the Church of the Carmine, located in Messina, on the site of the eponymous temple, which was destroyed during the earthquake of 1908. It was built by the architect Cesare Bazzani and consecrated in 1931.

The order of Carmelites arrived in Messina no later than 1238 and settled down by the river San Michele, two miles from the city. There, the Carmelites built their first Church Santa Maria del Carmelo. And the place eventually became known as Retiro - "Care" (because it's secluded hermits lived). In 1292, the Carmelites moved into the city proper, but they did not stay. In 1304 monastic order settled in the town of Contrada Pozzo Leone, where the brothers for several centuries occupied the Church of San Cataldo. But in 1783, the Church was completely destroyed during the earthquake.

The new home of the Carmelite fathers was the Church of Carmine — it was lavishly decorated with frescoes and paintings in the Baroque style. In the Church there were five altars, two of which survived, one was dedicated to the virgin Mary Carmelite (to see him today in the Regional Museum), the other — Saint albert of Trapani (was stolen in 1981).

28 Dec 1908 in Messina there was a terrible earthquake. 30 seconds "the lioness of Sicily and the beautiful Queen of the Bay", described the city of Pirandello, became a city of the dead. Died during the disaster and Church of Carmine.

Only in 1926, thanks to the efforts of Archbishop Angelo Paino began construction of a new building of the Church and monastery of Carmelites, and in 1930, the religious complex was inaugurated. From that moment on and to this day the Church of the Carmine remains a center of historical and cultural life of the city.

Inside the temple is made in the form of a Greek cross with lateral chapels and is decorated with colored marble and marble columns with carved capitals. The octagonal dome of the Church has a round window on each face and crowned with a lantern. At the main altar you can see the statue of the 18th century depicting the virgin Mary with the infant Jesus in her arms.