/ / The Church Pieve di San Siro: photo description (Pieve di San Siro)

The Church Pieve di San Siro: photo description (Pieve di San Siro)

Pieve di San Siro - the Church in the small settlement of Chemo, the town of Capo di Ponte, province of Brescia, standing at a height of 410 meters above sea level. To get to this religious complex located on a cliff above the river oglio, on the stairs, built in the 1930-ies.

The Foundation of Pieve di San Siro, in its present form belongs probably to the end of the 11th century, although a fragment of a Roman inscription on the arched window suggests that earlier on this place there was a building from the Roman era. Most likely between the 8th and 9th centuries it was converted into a Christian prayer house. In the crypt of the Church also preserved elements of preromantic capitals and columns. The bell tower was erected in the 15th century, and after a visit to the Val Camonica of St. Charles Borromeo in 1580, the year some parts of the Church were rebuilt, including the Central nave.

Major restoration work in the Pieve di San Siro took place in 1912, the year stone finish, partially collapsed, were returned to the place, the whole Northern wall of the choir was rebuilt and the cross vaults of the side aisles and walls of the nave were removed. Also been converted the walls of the crypt and leading to her staircase. And in the 1990s there was another work to strengthen the building of the Church and bell tower.

Now Pieve di San Siro is a building oriented West-East, with three apses and a very skilled portal on the South side it is decorated with various symbols and fantastic colors. At the back wall you can see a lot of steps, which, according to tradition, was used for preparing to take communion. From there a door leads to the sacristy and the bell tower. It was in this Church at the time was the altarpiece Master Paroto first half of the 15th century, now kept in new York. You should pay attention to the huge baptismal font which was probably taken from the Cup of Roman or early medieval grape juicer.