/ / The Church of San Biagio: a photo, description Chiesa di San Biagio)

The Church of San Biagio: a photo, description Chiesa di San Biagio)

The Church of San Biagio, also known as Santa Agata Alla Fornace, which is located at the Western end of Piazza Stesicoro in Catania. The Church was built in the 18th century after the devastating earthquake of 1693. It stands on the very spot where, according to legend, was the furnace in which St. Agatha, patron Saint of the city, was martyred for his faith. The girl first a long time had been locked in prison for refusing to betray the faith in Christ, then it was subjected to severe torture with fire and finally cut off her Breasts.

The facade of the Church San Biagio is the creation of architect Antonio Battaglia, who designed many other churches of Catania after the natural disasters of the late 17th century. It is made in neo-classical style with paired columns which support a triangular tympanum. Inside the Church consists of a single nave with clear and clean lines. Above the main altar is placed the canvas of the 18th century with the image of our lady of sorrows, which is sometimes replaced by a statue of the Madonna. The altar is elaborately decorated with scrolls, columns and statues of saints John the Evangelist and Mary Magdalene.

The chapel to the right of the transept is dedicated to St. Agatha. Under the altar in a small box stored the remains of the kiln in which the Saint was martyred. In 1938, this episode from the life of Agatha depicted on the fresco of Giuseppe Barone.

The chapel of the left transept is dedicated to the Crucifixion. One of the side altars consecrated in honor of St. Blaise of Sebaste, whose name is the Church of San Biagio in Italian). His image can be seen on the picture the work of a local artist. Other altars are decorated with contemporary works of Sicilian artists depicting the Holy Family, St. Andrew and Holy-Martyr John of Nepomuk.