/ / The Church of San Giacomo Maggiore: photo description (San Giacomo Maggiore)

The Church of San Giacomo Maggiore: photo description (San Giacomo Maggiore)

The Church of San Giacomo Maggiore was once part of the same monastery, founded the order of hermits of St. Augustine in Bologna and lasted until the early 19th century. The order itself was founded in 1247, and in 1267 his monks have built around the parish Church of St. Cecilia convent, and laid the Church of San Giacomo Maggiore. However, finally the Church was completed only in 1344.

For many years the protection and support of the monastery provided the most influential families of Bologna. In 1437 the Church of San Giacomo Maggiore was buried Anton Galeazzo Bentivoglio, who belonged to a noble family, in whose hands was concentrated the whole secular power of the city. One hundred years later, after the funeral of his great-grandson decided to do the reconstruction of the tomb that led to sweeping reforms throughout the Church. In those years, in the middle of the 15th century on the design of the Church worked famous artists Lorenzo Costa, Francesco Francia and Amico, Aspertini, whose frescoes on the temple walls can still be seen today.

In the late 18th century the monastery was closed because it lost its importance as a scientific center and part of its premises was later transferred to Bologna. However, many buildings of the ancient monastery preserved to our days is not only the Church of San Giacomo Maggiore, with chapels and chapels, but also the inner courtyards, wide staircase, dining room and library.

The construction of the Church was started on the West facade — it has retained its original appearance. It is possible to see a small aedicule with the statue of Jesus Christ, and over the Central entrance there is a round window. Its present exterior is acquired in the 16th century.

In 1336 was built the bell tower, which half a century later, added a few levels, and between 1477 and 1481 years along via Zamboni was built the portico, giving a unified view of the entire complex. By the time the Church of Saint Cecilia has in fact become a part of the San Giacomo Maggiore.

Special attention deserves the Chapel of the Bentivoglio, which buried the same Anton Galeazzo and his family members. It is made in red and blue colours — colours of the heraldic sort of Bentivoglio, and its walls are painted Lorenzo Costa.